Post links to uploaded videos or you tube and lets discuss them.
By bubudi
some of you might know of ousmane "zoumana" dembélé, from bobo dioulasso, burkina faso. zoumana is one of the best young djembefolas, equally spellbinding on tama, bara and callabashes. he is also amazing on the kamele n'goni and donso n'goni (hunters' harp). The videos below may take a few minutes to load.

zoumana does a djembekan

zoumana was born in 1975 in bobo dioulasso, burkina faso, where his father, khalifa "sambo" dembélé (renowned peul fiddler), taught him the art of the griot. together they performed at ceremonies of the bwaba and peul peoples, zoumana accompanying khalifa on the callabashes, until khalifa's death in 1997.

zoumana dembele live at the bambou, bobo dioulasso, burkina faso

since his childhood, zoumana's life has been centred around the music and traditions of west africa. ensuring his function as a griot in his village, zoumana plays and sings at ceremonies of birth, marriage, funerals and other occasions. he has performed with numerous professional groups in bobo dioulasso, including the fespaco film festival and "jazz en ouaga" festival.

zoumana live at the zaka in ouagadougou, burkina faso (part 1)

here's part 2

he formed the group landaya in 1990 with his brothers. the group has performed in burkina faso and europe.

landaya plays fanga
[video]www.vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... D=10279798[/video]

landaya was awarded, among other honors, the grand prix national de culture de burkina faso. landaya has recorded two albums: burkina ka di (with art evolution) and tounga ma dembelon (to be released by lenke productions).

landaya plays jama ka wuli
[video]www.vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... D=10279223[/video]
zoumana also traveled widely to musical encounters with artists such as mamady keita, momo wandel soumah, sidiki camara and baba cissoko. in brussels and across europe, zoumana played with an afro-jazz group named foofango.

foofango
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgQUcY3jV5A&feature=related[/video]

zoumana is the subject of the documentary film "in the blood: portrait of a griot" by jari jarvi and aleksi oksanen in 2005, available on dvd from kaarna productions. zoumana is the founder and director of a percussion center in bobo dioulasso. he conducts regular workshops for djembe and other percussion around the world.

zoumana dembele live in belgium 2003

and again in 2007
By James
I was sure, I'd replied to this thread before...

Thanks for these wicked video Bubudi, they are seriously great!

Thanks also for introducing me to the world of Zoumana Dembele.

I see a few clips of Shiaka Keita when he was a young man in the below vids of landaya.

That's who Nial and Jake were learning from in Bobo. Have you heard of him Bubudi?
By bubudi
that's the same issaka keita you have on your burkina page. great player, but next time, tell your friends to look for zoumana. he's quite experienced in teaching western students. btw, when i check the menu from the forum, the burkina page isn't listed.
By bubudi
10 minute djembekan by zoumana. the sound & video quality is a bit poor but this is still enjoyable.

By guedom
one more @ Tam Tam festival 2005 in Bobo

the full video is here with a creative commons license :clap:
By Djembe-nerd
wow !! That Helsinki solo is one of the most Groovy djembe solo I have seen !

What a talent !!