Post links to uploaded videos or you tube and lets discuss them.
By the kid
Bakary Diedhiou playing Bougarabou in Cassamance region of south Senegal. Awesome instrument and playing by Bakary. He seems like he was some dude, granddaddy and master of the bougarabou. This is the Diola ethnic group instrument and music, entertainment and dance. Pretty savage anyways.

Last edited by the kid on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
By korman
Nice vids! His drums are quite different from the rope tuned djembe-like bougarbous usually seen in the west
By the kid
So true. I wonder what skins are on there as well. I seen a Diola band in gambia play with the 3 bougs as bass section and few djembe players and dancers with the bamboo clickers. Sounded cool. There is some clips on youtube of a european guy who was Bacarys student and he is ripping this 4 drum set up too.

But Bacary is pretty unique. I though i saw some where that he passed away in the recent years. Shame if that is so. He seemed to be the heart of the party anyways and a show man for young and old. His style percussion is pretty playful yet deep, hypnotic and trancy too. I really like it.

I never even heard of bougs coming out of casamance for sale. Mostly i've heard of them from up around Dakar so i wonder are they the authentic up there or coming from a musical tradition or just designed for tourist market. They also seem to always be used in drum circle style context as a lone drum, pretty much a bassy djembe style drum. Interesting to learn more about them really.

There are some interesting styles in Senegambia region for sure, not just Sabar anyways
By the kid

Mix of Seruba and Bougarabou. To me the seruba and maninka drums are the most funky things i ever heard and just make me happy. The people i met from casamance were really cool too. Seemed like something special there. I was too stupid and bogged down learning djembe to travel down to casamance when i was in the Gambia. But i seen some performances at weddings and hotels so that was something. Fula style is pretty crazy style for a wedding too. It's all funk really.