Discuss traditional west african dancing
By Michel
Maybe also for the videosection:

During a workshop last january 2011 in Mali with on djembe solo Sidiki Camara. Great drumming.
By ChristianAMR
Thanks for posting this .
The video is very nice , but the rhythm sounds like Diansa to me .

( Though I´m aware that there are different versions of Diansa , like a slow version that sounds quite different ; the dunun figure featured in the video is what I hear mostly played for Diansa .
Like here in this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhby_UsUsc )
Or maybe there exists some interchangability of dunun patterns between the two rhythms that I am not aware of ...

On the other hand , the dunun melody that I associate with Madan is this one :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjpoHR62qA
But maybe there are also some other possibilities for Madan that I am not aware of .

Just wondering ....

Greetings to all and congratulations for hosting such a nice forum .
By Michel
To ChristianAMR: You are right in your example of madan in the video, that's the right konkoni pattern for it. In the video I posted it's a little bit difficult to hear the dunun pattern. I guess you could hear dansa in it.... But the djembe accompaniement and solophrases are madan for sure (and the dance, as Rachel mentioned) And with Sidiki Camara as soloplayer I think they will play the rhythm the way it should be played...... The rest of the percussionists is from the National Ballet of Mali. But I got your point!
By ChristianAMR
To rachelnguyen : ok

To Michel :
Thank you for the detailed explanation and the patience .
Well , I think I should go deeper into the solo-phrases of both rhythms to develop the ability to differentiate better in the future , besides being aware of the dance also .
By bops
ChristianAMR,

Hi! You are right to think it sounds like dansa, since that's the common konkoni part for dansa. However, the real identity of dansa is not in the konkoni part, but rather in the dunun. If you heard dunun phrasing for dansa, you'd know right away that it's dansa. Like Michel said, we can't hear the dunun clearly in this video (if there is one present), but I'm guessing that if we could, it would start sounding like less like dansa and more like madan. Like Rachel said, those steps are specific to madan.

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, Sidiki sounds great... Thanks for posting, Michel.
By ChristianAMR
bops wrote:ChristianAMR,

Hi! You are right to think it sounds like dansa, since that's the common konkoni part for dansa. However, the real identity of dansa is not in the konkoni part, but rather in the dunun. If you heard dunun phrasing for dansa, you'd know right away that it's dansa. Like Michel said, we can't hear the dunun clearly in this video (if there is one present), but I'm guessing that if we could, it would start sounding like less like dansa and more like madan. Like Rachel said, those steps are specific to madan.

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, Sidiki sounds great... Thanks for posting, Michel.

Thanks bops for clarifying these details .
Greetings Christian .
By Michel
Christian said:
Well , I think I should go deeper into the solo-phrases of both rhythms to develop the ability to differentiate better in the future , besides being aware of the dance also .
I think you hit the nail on the head! It's so great to know phrases which go with dance steps. It is on the same youtube-channel I got this from where you can also find a nice mandjani, dansa and others. Soloplayers are Sidiki Camara and Khalifa Kone. Enjoy!
By bubudi
thanks for posting these, michiel!

we'll have to get your audio up too!
By Michel
Bubudi wrote:
we'll have to get your audio up too!
You mean the ones I posted on a-drive? Go ahead! I love those recordings. I could try it myself, but not sure how it works best. Thanks for the enthousiasm.
By ChristianAMR
Michel wrote:Christian said:
I think you hit the nail on the head! It's so great to know phrases which go with dance steps. It is on the same youtube-channel I got this from where you can also find a nice mandjani, dansa and others. Soloplayers are Sidiki Camara and Khalifa Kone. Enjoy!
I took a look at it . Great stuff and the rest of the channel includes other nice clips as well !
By bubudi
Lassine Kone dancing Madan, Siaka Doumbia on djembe

By rachelnguyen
Bubudi,

The last video, especially, is just wonderful. Many of the steps are similar to what I learned in Bamako, but not exactly the same.... and lots that are different.

What I love about this video, though, is that it shows so clearly the relationship between the drummer and the dancer. It is just fantastic.