Discuss traditional west african dancing
By drtom
I was recently editing some video of performances for a local event held during National Dance Week (I love dance and some time back realized it's connection to drumming) and came across some 2015 videos I shot.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/OIZd4WmT9IE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uIvGghVNtA4[/youtube]

I find it interesting that the instrumentation is totally Brazilian, yet I hear it mimicking the djembe - dunun interplay. The dancing is clearly African-influenced.
By Dugafola
cool . half of those drummers have studied a good amount of west african stuff.

it's been many many years since jenbe/dunun have been represented at the SC National Dance Week.
I used to perform at it every year....maybe 2020 we'll get something togeher.
By korman
drtom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:58 am
I find it interesting that the instrumentation is totally Brazilian, yet I hear it mimicking the djembe - dunun interplay. The dancing is clearly African-influenced.
Interesting, I did not hear that. In the first video there's caixa and surdos plus some agogo, and caixa is so unlike djembe - playing all the subdivisions and forming patterns with accented notes. In the second video repenique joins in, but mostly stays on its ride pattern .. Having played in two samba bands (batucada and samba reggae), my experience was quite dissimilar to traditional djembe music (but ballet style is closer, probably).
By cobra
Thanks Mr. korman, that's useful. You seem to really know your samba.

I think drtom spoke in very broad strokes, offering no qualifications or details at all, and I think I see his point. Imagine the surdo as the dun laying down the basic structure of the rhythm. Then maybe the repinque can be compared to the djembe and the agogo to the dundun bell.

I must say that to my untrained ear the drumming in the videos seems busier than an African ensemble. But who knows, someone much more knowledgeable than myself might come up with a traditional African rhythm similar to that in the videos.

That dancing is great! Thanks drtom.