To discuss the free lessons available on this site.
By Hilde
There are so many druminstructions films on You Tube, so many bad ones. I get tired of looking through them. Can anyone recommend good ones, different rythms, solos and so on?
By e2c
Hilde - there are a lot of great YouTube videos posted here on this forum - some are in the "videos" section, others are in other parts of the forums.

I know what you mean about trying to find things on YouTube - and I think this is a better place to start. Also, once you know some names (of rhythms and of players), searching on the 'Tube is easier, because you have more keywords to work with.

I hope that helps! :D
By michi
Unfortunately, the vast majority of djembe instructional videos on YouTube are junk. But I like the idea of collecting ones that are actually worth watching. Maybe we could all take note when we come across a good one and link to it here for posterity?

Here are some decent ones:

(I don't agree with the ballet dunun version of Soli in this one--one of the kenkeni strikes is out, IMO.)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Hilde
Thanks michi! Yes, it is a good idea to post good ones here. I know a lot of them have been posted different places here in Djembefola. I really need expertise help and I consider you to be experts compared to me. There are no classes to attend where I live so I spend a lot of time searching on the internet.
By e2c
freefeet wrote:And one i love that's not on Youtube...

http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0131/v/swf ... =&showAd=0
Ah... Babara Bangoura.

I really like some of the things he's playing on the bass djembe - you can see him using many different kinds of strokes (even very light touches with his fingertips) to get the sounds he wants.

I bet he'd be killin' on frame drums. :) (not j/k; the technique transfers quite well...)

Would like to see him try something similar with the bass djembe tuned a bit higher...
By michi
Nice instructional video with Mendiani solo. Definitely one of the better ones out there!

Here is the same guy with a djembe kan. Very non-traditional, but impressive regardless:

And another djembe kan, more traditional:

Michi.