To discuss the free lessons available on this site.
By Aurawiewer
We learned coco yesterday!!! Thanks a lot for this video and lesson! I need it because we use it like an open tone at lessons. Im so happy that I found it!.
By michi
Just combine the melody for the dundunba and sangban and play that with the right hand. With the left hand, either play a straight down-beat on kenkeni (easy), or play a double-beat that starts on the down-beat (1e..2e..3e..4e..), which is harder.

Michi.
By Crispy
bubudi wrote:don't let kuku's ubiquitous use in dance classes and drum circles fool you into thinking it's an easy rhythm. the proper swing of kuku is not easy to achieve. i have seen very few non-africans who actually swing it properly.
I'm intrigued by this. Are there any videos or recordings that show the specific swing you're referencing?
By davidognomo
my favourite recording version of kuku is on Les Percussions de Guinée album (vol. 1).

check out this video. Not sure if any of this is kuku, but the rhythm that starts at 3:50 could be kuku. This is probably an ensemble close to the one of the original kuku. Mamady, if I am not mistaken, says that kuku was originally played by three djembes, so this would be a more complete ensemble of instruments and drum parts. I just love this. Very different from the ballet/Conacry style that, although its power and quality, turns rhythms from very different origins (geographically , culturally and musically) into almost just one thing.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRm7czrGX7w#t=49[/video]