To discuss the free lessons available on this site.
By michi
Hilde wrote:For me whats important is that he is making good sounds. When you are at this level/when you are able to play this kind of solos, you are not dependent on looking at the handing any longer. I guess....
Sure. I can play passport and various other accompaniments left-handed too. I do this quite often when I'm playing accompaniment for a dance class. Playing everything left-handed is good exercise and helps to while away the time :)

For a teacher, I personally think that it is not a good thing to change handing because too many students will be watching. That's not to say that this particular guy is a bad teacher. Actually, from the videos, I'd say he's doing a fine job. But I'd prefer him to play with consistent handing, for the sake of his students.

Cheers,

Michi.
Last edited by michi on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Willsey
I am at beginner level but would like to try and learn this, would anyone have the rhythm sheet notations available , with the video that would be agreat help
By wonderwebb
Willsey wrote:I am at beginner level but would like to try and learn this, would anyone have the rhythm sheet notations available , with the video that would be agreat help
Best thing to do is download youtubevideo downloader and vlc player
Play the video with vlc player and you can slow it down as much as you want you can then see everything and hear all the notes. I have used it for a lot of bolokada Conde solo phrases where his hands are moving really fast it works well.
By Willsey
I think I have worked out the first two parts , but not sure about slaps/Tones and spacing maybe someone could correct me if I have got it wrong.

part 1 SST. S.BTB.S
RRL. R.RLR.R

part 2 S.SS.T.T S.SS.BTB
R.LR.R.L R.LR.RLR
By Hilde
Wilsey: I think part 1 is T TT S BSBS I didn't add any . here, but I think the first three notes are tones and then one slap before the base.

What about part 3, is there a tone beteween all the slaps? It's hard to hear.
By michi
Phrase 1 is:
Code: Select all
t.tt..s...bsb.s.
r.rl..r...rlr.r.
Phrase 2 is:
s.tt..sss.bsb.ss
r.rl..rlr.rlr.rl
              ^
Phrase 3 is:
ts.ts.ts.ts.ts.ts.ts.ts.t.SSsss.bx
The "SS" on the 7-and is a three roll, so there should be 3 S's there, but they didn't fit on the grid. The entire slap phrase at the end is a 6-roll, with the first three slaps squeezed into the space of the "SS".
The "x" is a muffled slap.

Cheers,

Michi.
By davidognomo
I had never seen these videos, nor I had ever seen a teacher teaching a break/solo phrase from end to top, part by part. It seems really effective. Usually on classes or workshops I get the same method from teachers, repeating small parts of the whole then putting them together one after another, but from top to end. Nice