To discuss the free lessons available on this site.
By wonderwebb
I learnt my first complete solo of the back of this workshop and teacher he breaks it down very clearly at a pace i could follow the next following videos are all in order so if you want to learn this rythm follow the videos in order and by the time you reach the end you will have cracked it!

even i managed to learn it :rofl:

Right if you have got this far you should be able to play no sweat heres the final

And for those of you that want the dunns

By Djembe-nerd
The teacher seems to be left handed, so for right handed people, all this reverses, right ?
By michi
Djembe-nerd wrote:The teacher seems to be left handed, so for right handed people, all this reverses, right ?
I don't think so. He looks like a right-handed player to me.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe-nerd
The way he is playing the passport accompaniment.

ss..tts.ss
rl..lrl.rl
By michi
Djembe-nerd wrote:ss..tts.ss
rl..lrl.rl
That doesn't look like passport to me :) To me, passport is:
Code: Select all
s..ss.tts..ss.tt
r..lr.rlr..lr.rl
Some people play it ballet style:
Code: Select all
s..ss.tts..ss.tt
r..rl.rlr..rl.rl
But that's still a right-handed player. It's just that two isolated slaps swap sides.

Which clip and time are you referring to?

Cheers,

Michi.
By Djembe-nerd
That doesn't look like passport to me To me, passport is:
I was trying to short cut it and messed up the dots. I meant the same but will have to check the clip where I saw him playing it the lefty style. I think I saw him playing this, but it might have been the way you said with the slaps swapped.

s..ss.tts..ss.tt
l..rl.lrl..rl.lr

Then in another one just now (before I saw this message, so no clip or time again) I saw him playing it the normal way.

s..ss.tts.ss.tt
r..lr.rlr..lr.rl
By michi
Would be interesting to see the relevant passage. If he is really playing with inconsistent handing, that's not good for a teacher.

Michi.
By wonderwebb
He is right handed and plays passport traditionally r l r r l in the last year that I have been studying the djembe I have got to say that he is the best teacher I have come across. I have studied with a lot of teachers in this time as I got the djembe bug and have crammed in lots of workshops . Being a great djembe player in my opinion does not neccesarilly translate to being good teacher . For me the way he teaches is fun and enjoyable easily broken down other teachers I have had in the past sometimes move to fast for me and the environment feels more pressurized and I just don't get it . I have leanrt a lot from his workshops
By Paul
Seems pretty good to me.. and there is nothing that would lead me to believe he is a lefty...

As a leftie myself, teaching can be tricky... I generally teach everything right handed, but sometimes your shouting the dunun patterns across the room, correcting technique and trying to keep the rhythm going at the same time so I often revert back to left hand for a minute just so I can keep playing and talk at the same time.

LEFT POWER :D
By Djembe-nerd
I was refering to he 4th one from the top "Furrah 4 (1+2+3+4+5) starting at 40 seconds when he switches from the other accompaniment to passport (or so i think)
By Dugafola
michi wrote:Would be interesting to see the relevant passage. If he is really playing with inconsistent handing, that's not good for a teacher.

Michi.

he switches his hands when he plays accomp.
By Hilde
For me whats important is that he is making good sounds. When you are at this level/when you are able to play this kind of solos, you are not dependent on looking at the handing any longer. I guess....