Need Help? We help each other here...
A friend has asked me to put on a rhythm workshop at her school and it is going to be based on African Rhythms.

I have decided i want to do it on West African rhythms. I do not find gathering information, or drumming very difficult but the thought of delivering a workshop to 30 students is quite daunting.

Can anyone give me any help on delivering a workshop (equipment will be provided by the school) - as in 'how do i get 30 people started????'
The main thing i am looking for is an example of a simple west african rhythm, which can be disected for everyone to aim at being able to play together. Does this make sense????

I am familiar with alot of west african drum beats and can play them on my djembe alone but it is a different ball game when it comes to finding a rhythm that i can disect!
By James
Hey Ryan, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

There are a lot of traditional rhythms that could be disected for everyone to play together. You mention you are familiar with a lot a west african drum beats, do you mean traditional rhythms, or kit grooves (I only ask because you mention you are primarily a kit drummer).

Traditional rhythms would generally not be played on 1 djembe alone, but with at least 1 dun dun and perhaps a couple other djembes. Sorry if you know all this already, I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from.

Have you ever learnt from a djembe teacher or are you self taught from your kit background?

James :)
By ryanlikealion
Sorry - i was going mad with the research last night and looking for answers as to how i can deliver this workshop.

The reason i am struggling is because there was a communication botch up - someone told me they wanted me to do a samba workshop then changed it at the last minute to a west african work shop.

I know little about the seperate parts of west african rhtyhms and really need to hear some, and see notation of a full rhythm. My only experience of 'african' drumming is (as you asked) teaching myself the djembe from my knowledge of playing kit drums.

Basically i have been put in a position of teaching som kids how to do something im not entirely sure about my self. I really want to learn some west african rhythms but finding out were to start is difficult.

Anyway im ranting on now and im going to shut up!!!

Ryan
By James
Hey Ryan, I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

If you're going to be teaching these rhythms more than this once off, you may consider looking for a teacher, who has learnt these rhythms from the source as opposed to the books and tabs etc.

We've been discussing recently that you can't really have a proper feel for a lot of this music unless you actually hear it because tabbing it often only brings one a close approximation.

Also, it is extremely important to teach the proper cultural context behind the particular rhythm you are teaching because this music, means a more than a lot to the people who it comes from.

Good luck
James :)