[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Changing a skin on a top tuned LP Aspire - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Need Help? We help each other here...
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 2 posts
By Meshica7
Howdy all!

My name is Juan and I recently started to do a refinish on a friend of mine's LP Aspire Djembe. I ordered what I was told to be the right size skin, a 12.5 inch goatskin head. Well when I tried to install the new skin I found that it will not fit beyond the lug anchors on the rim.In other words it would appear that it is too big for this djembe.The skin seems to fit the top of the drum just fine but when trying to install the rim over the skin it just won't fit. Doing a Google search, I found that the LP Aspire djembe is only available as a 12.5 inch. I have no experience with changing out a djembe head and the local music store seemed baffled as well. Someone suggested that I soak the skin, but there is a metal ring at the outer edge of the skin where it flares out.
Am I missing something here? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Below are links to images of the skin with the rim:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X-wQI ... -M9uhYsmAB
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xyrjN ... FPy7kP-fYl
By drtom
Meshica7 wrote:Someone suggested that I soak the skin, but there is a metal ring at the outer edge of the skin where it flares out.
How would soaking the skin help?
Meshica7 wrote:Well when I tried to install the new skin I found that it will not fit beyond the lug anchors on the rim.In other words it would appear that it is too big for this djembe.
The flesh ring HAS to be slightly bigger than the rim which will press down on it, otherwise the replacement head might slip through. It's a tight fit, that's all.

The flesh ring is not perfectly round. From the position you show in the photos, turn the flesh ring until you find the best possible fit, then force it in, being careful not to damage the skin.

Make sure that the foreskin ends up completely within the rim and not pinched by it.

If all else fails, take the drum to The Drum Doctor.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 2 posts