Need Help? We help each other here...
By hemalkibliwala
Hi Everyone.

I want to buy a Djembe but iam confused which size is right for me...i mean the height of the djembe and the face of the djembe as well. Iam from India and my height is 5ft5". Please advice.
By korman
When you sit, djembe should be slightly above your knee, so that your hand is bent approximately 90 degrees at elbow. For most adults 60-65cm (24-25inch) height works well.
When you put your palm on the middle of the playing surface there should be enough space to both edges. For most people 28-32cm (11-13inches) diameter should be ok.
By the kid
I'm around that height, and find playing any standard djembe fine, esp sitting down.

Just important to get a real djembe made in West Africa, size diameter 12-14 inchs. The height is not so important imo.

Woodwise, you want Lenge, bala, djala, iroko or dimba or other west african hard woods.
By michi
korman wrote:For most adults 60-65cm (24-25inch) height works well.
65cm is very tall. I'd shoot for something in the 58-62cm range.

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
No, that is definitely not a good djembe.

If you want to learn how to play djembe, the first step is to find someone who runs classes in your area. Go there, and don't bother about buying a drum. Instead, play a hire drum for a few weeks or months. While you are learning, you'll see and hear lots of djembes being played by other people. And you'll have a much better idea what sound and style you like. Then, if you decide to keep going, you can think about buying a drum of your own.

Whatever you buy, if you want it to be good, you won't find it on Amazon or eBay. Browse this forum for reputable suppliers. You local teacher may also be able to point you in the right direction. Generally, good djembes are imported by a few enthusiasts who do it for the love of it more than the money. Your chances of buying a good instrument in a music store a damn close to zero.

And there is no rush. If you decide to learn how to sail a boat, you don't rock up for your first sailing lesson complete with a boat, do you? Same for djembes…

Cheers,

Michi.
By hemalkibliwala
Unfortunately there are no djembe classes nearby. I live in a small city in India. There are a few guitar classes and they don't even know what a djembe is. The only option I have is table drumming for now. I know it's very different from djembe. But I love drumming. As far as buying a djembe is concerned then I guess I'll have to wait for a bit longer. I'll be going to Mumbai in a few weeks. Hope I get to know a little more about djembe at a few music stores , get a feel of it and then decide what to do. But one thing is for sure.. Djembe is coming home soon.