[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Help identify - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

Need Help? We help each other here...
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 10 posts
By silviuj
Hi guys,
i finnaly managed to upgrade to a better djembe than my old indonesian one, so i found a really cheap , 80 USD djembe made by Kangaba. The guy i bought it from did not knew the wood typ or where it was from.
So my question is , if anybody can identify the wood and origin? Being Kangaba, i suppose it Malian, but i do not know nothing about the wood.
Any other thoughts on the djembe are welcomed. it has quite a high pith but i like that , i am still a beginner here so any suggestions and tips are welcomed.
WP_20160630_19_34_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20160630_19_34_41_Pro.jpg (273.95KiB)Viewed 5759 times
WP_20160630_19_35_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20160630_19_35_49_Pro.jpg (163.17KiB)Viewed 5759 times
Thanks
By Gumbe_2013
Hi,
If you ask Google you can get some information about the factory:
http://www.kangaba.com/

My first djembe was a kangaba djembe too and I think it's ok for a beginner.
I think the shell could be Palisander( Balafonwood,Khadi) with a lot of sapwood.
By the kid
Looks very much like Dimba. Generally from Gambia/Senegal area. I'm sure it is in other countries too.
By silviuj
So this is what Kangaba makes their djembes from : Lenke , Dugura and Gueni according to their website.
By the kid
I think Dimba and Dugura are the same woods. They call it dimba in Gambia/Senegal.

At least on google image it looks similar.

I'd be pretty sure it's not lenge and really sure it's not gueni as the grain is really different and it's darker.
By michi
Definitely not Gueni. The colour and grain are wrong.

I'm pretty sure that it's not Dimba/Dugura either. All the dugura shells I have seen (quite a lot of them) have very different grain, and Dugura is a brown wood, but what's in the photo looks quite reddish.

To me, it looks like Lenke with some sapwood.

Cheers,

Michi.
By djembefeeling
Lenke would be my best guess, too. 80 USD is quite a bargain for that, even with all the sapwood in the upper part of the drum.
By silviuj
Thank you all for your thoughts here, and good to hear that this might be Lenke. Indeed, for 80USD even if it wasnt Lenke it would have been a bargain still.
All i need to do now is keep practicing :) and find someone to practic with.

Cheers
By batadunbata
From what I've seen online, Michi's right, the grain pattern and color don't match Dugura/Dimba.

Note how buttery smooth the heartwood looks, and the patterns are barely visible?

Dugura typically has visible waves and ripples, due to alternating opaque/transparent color layers within the wood, as well as a rougher texture. I have two Dugura and they look very much alike, both medium orange (not dark red or purple at all) with wavey light/dark grain patterns. The transparent layer is rich orange, the light layer is milkier in color. It's fairly distinct, although occasionally other species can look like it, it rarely looks like other species.

I've seen two Kangaba Lenke djembes in person, and it looks exactly like that. The wood is buttery (it even feels buttery smooth to the touch) and the patterns are faint or nonexistant.

Gueni on the other hand usually has noticeable blurry streaks of lighter and darker. Not as wavey as Dugura, or as sharply contrasted, instead it usually has fairly straight lines of shade variaton. The pores are smaller on Gueni too, whereas this one clearly has large pores (visible in the sapwood), also consistent with Lenke.

And finally, the color. It's consistent with the color of Lenke, which tends to be a brownish burgundy or port color. Gueni tends to be maroon color, with more purple, and less brown than Lenke. It's a subtle difference, and some Gueni is very brown, so it's not reliable, but generally true. Gueni can come from different Pterocarpus species, and Lenke can come from various Afzelia species. Appearance varies from piece to piece, so there's no sure answer unless the vendor knows.
But I'd say this is very likely Lenke.
At $80 this was a great buy. The sapwood on hardwoods tends to still be fairly hard, and the compression for the bass happens lower in the bowl anyway, so the heartwood should still be helpful lower down, due to it's higher density. It will also make the stem more durable, which gets the most wear and sometimes split. The heartwood also extends further up on the inside, as you may have realized. (could be more than a couple inches, maybe 3-4 depending)
You can use a flashlight to see just how far up it goes.
Looks great, lucky find.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 10 posts