Need Help? We help each other here...
By johnc
5 weeks on a small djembe and ive learnt by heart 5 or 6 pattern/ rhythms that to the best of my developing musical knowledge are presented as 4 bars divided into 4/4. Thus these are over very quickly even if you repeat them 2,3,4,5 times. Ive learnt the call and one of the djembe parts to the kuku from the online lesson here.

I often get confused and muck them up a little because as I learn one rhythm a previously learnt rhythm goes outa my head for a few minutes.

whilst i keep going over these patterns and add a few more i would like to start building/learning a rhythm that says lasts for around 30 seconds or so. it would need to be fairly simple but complex enough to be beyond the repeating of tt.stts tt.stts .

any directions to where such a work may found or exposure to would be of much help.

i get my hands on a new djembe next week and some lessons should happen in a month, but in the mean time......

cheers

john
By bubudi
john, i have compiled a list of instructional resources for beginning and intermediate djembe players. click here to see it.

remember that these don't come anywhere near close to a substitute for a good teacher.

since you intend to have mady keita as a teacher and he teaches malian rhythms, i would suggest you start with the mali rhythms book (by abdoul doumbia) and at least the first dvd or vhs from mamady keita.