[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mazé Kouyaté - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 6 posts
By rachelnguyen
My dear friend and teacher, Mazé Kouyaté, died unexpectedly this week in Bamako. We suspect it was a cerebral hemmorhage.

Mazé was a very intuitive and powerful teacher. When I studied with him, he never said a word, or even used facial expressions, but would just demonstrate what he wanted me to do and wait until I got it. I will never forget what a thrill it was when it all finally clicked. I didn't know until afterwards that it was a thrill for him, too!

I came back from Mali with his drum, which was, for me, an extraordinary honor.

And while this is a profound personal loss, I also feel deeply grateful that I got a chance to study with and be friends with this gentle and wonderful man.

Tu me manques, mon cher. Toujours.
By e2c
Rachel, I'm so sorry.

Yet I'm also so glad for you that you got to know him and learn from him.
By rachelnguyen
Hey Ellen,

Thanks. It was an extraordinary gift that I had the chance to get to know him. I thank God every day that I went to Mali when I did.

Now I have a patron saint of drumming, LOL.

It is very hard, though, knowing that next time I am in Bamako, he won't be there.

R
By e2c
Rachel - I can imagine that it's very bittersweet, as you say. Especially (I'm guessing) because you met him on your very 1st trip.

I keep thinking that it might well have given him a lot of pleasure to meet you and to be able to teach someone who clearly cares so much about the folks there... including him. (Not to mention their music and culture.)

Grief is such a double-edged sword, in so many ways. And yet... I wonder if you've written anything (just for yourself) about Mazé, getting to know him, things that are clear in your memory now? That could be a real treasure for you - and for others, if you choose to share it.

Worth contemplating, I think...

hugs,
e.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 6 posts