[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What is your favourite dunun part to play? - Page 3 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
Dugafola wrote:right now i'm thoroughly enjoying mendiani/bundiani/den/afia. could be my favorite rhythm ever.

Can you play that mendiani with the crazy micro timing thing... It's almost like a warped record... That reminds me of a time I was in Dakar and these dudes rolled up playing electric armadillo guitars through car stereo amplifiers and they were playing in unison but it sounded like a record with a skip in it...I couldn't stop laughing...it must have been the malaria medication... :lol:
Oh, I can't wait to learn the Jeli dunun parts for all the rhythms I know!

Right now I am working on Dansa. I learned the basic riff and a couple of solo bits. It is a wonderful challenge for this djembe girl. I am loving it.

I am working without the bell for the time being... but at some point want to get one and start playing that, too.
By e2c
I wish Providence was closer, because

1. I want a jeli dunun + bell

2. I want to take lessons!

No Malians anywhere near here, I'm afraid... (Well, maybe there are, but they're not teaching drums/bala/ngoni/whatever.)
By bops
Rachel, Dansa is one of my favorites, too. :dundun:
rachelnguyen wrote:If you haven't already gotten a copy, I just got a copy of 'Young Guns'. It is great fun and you can hear the Jeli dunun parts pretty clearly.
That's a great one... tons of dunun licks for Dansa, Suku (Soli), Sunu, Tansole, Madan. The jembe playing is pretty sick, too.
By e2c
rachelnguyen wrote:In the mean time,

If you haven't already gotten a copy, I just got a copy of 'Young Guns'. It is great fun and you can hear the Jeli dunun parts pretty clearly.

Here's a link to order it:

http://www.earthcds.com/africa/west/mali/young.shtml
Thanks for the rec - that Ibrahima Sarr CD that I mentioned to you off-list (on KSK) is good for this, too.

I think you need to get Sidy to convince some of his peeps to come here and teach... they could probably get a lot of students on the Eastern Seaboard in general, NE and the Mid-Atlantic states more specifically... RI is just *bit* too far for me to swing up for a weekend, you know? (And much as I like southern NE, I don't plan on moving there anytime soon. ;))
rachelnguyen wrote: I was singing the Madan riffs in the grocery store today. Yeah, my neighbors think I am nuts... and now the checkout girl at the register does too. Ha!
Just remember - it's the "good" kind of crazy! :D
By Jessie
Right now mine is a toss up between bolokonodon and Mfakaba dundun and sangbahn. Also a couple I learned in Guinea called kassa toady and bando fadima. Sorry if I am completely butchering some phonetic spelling of the rhythms.

jessie
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 3 of 3
  • 39 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable