[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What is your favourite dunun part to play? - Page 2 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
jamsa wrote:bubudi not that hard apparently nice to know ya, seems like that arrangment is being remembered. for a while i thought ony certain places in mali played it that way. but this summer i was playing in montana ,mouminatou camara and sekou{daryl} presented it this way. seems hard to not believe once you see the steps on it. much love aye djeli a da

moumi is my favorite woman dancer from Guinea and sekou is a great buddy of mine. that's pretty much how they play it in most parts of guinea. the basic dununba pattern will have some regional variations but the overall feeling is there. and if the dununba player knows the dance, he/she can easily mark the steps with the dunun phrasing.
By bubudi
sandia done on khassonke dunun is just beautiful to watch. the guineans don't play it that differently, just that the steps tend to be on another part of the beat in relation to the kenkeni.
By dleufer
I really really love playing Liberte I at the moment. I´m combining dununba and sangban, lots of scope for nice variations, filling in the bell pattern.

Also Bala Kulandyan is really cool to play ballet style. I´m just getting into messing about with variations and I´m finding that one nice to mess around with.

I´ve started trying to play Dunungbe ballet style too. It´s still in its shakey phase but it´s getting there! The melody between the 3 duns is so gorgeous. I´ve been practicing using 3 keys on a balaphone, really gives you a feel for the melody
By bops
It's a common misconception that Liberte was "created" to celebrate Guinea's independance from the French. The rhythm was played for a long time as Tomanka. It was nicknamed Liberte after the Ballet Liberte, who first presented it to the country. The ballet was indeed named to commemorate Guinea's independance.
By bubudi
bops, who is your source for that info?
i too noted the similarity of tomankan and liberte 1. i seem to recall duga telling me that one of his teachers said they weren't the same rhythms (more like liberte 1 was based on tomankan).
By bubudi
bops wrote:It's a common misconception that Liberte was "created" to celebrate Guinea's independance from the French. The rhythm was played for a long time as Tomanka. It was nicknamed Liberte after the Ballet Liberte, who first presented it to the country. The ballet was indeed named to commemorate Guinea's independance.
how long was tomankan played before year of independence? a few people have said it's a modern adaptation of tiriba.
bubudi wrote:
bops wrote:It's a common misconception that Liberte was "created" to celebrate Guinea's independance from the French. The rhythm was played for a long time as Tomanka. It was nicknamed Liberte after the Ballet Liberte, who first presented it to the country. The ballet was indeed named to commemorate Guinea's independance.
how long was tomankan played before year of independence? a few people have said it's a modern adaptation of tiriba.
seems like an old ballet person would probably be best to answer that question. if i get Kargus on the phone, i'll ask him.
By bops
bubudi wrote:how long was tomankan played before year of independence? a few people have said it's a modern adaptation of tiriba.
Definitely possible. I've never learned Tomanka, only Liberté. I'll ask Moustapha next time I see him.
Diansa version 1... on Fara's instructional mp3's. the dunun on the up beats is wicked!

1 D . D 2 D . D 3 . M . 4 . D D

and

It's funny cause I use to hate Tiriba... but now I love it... Something about the swing... Playing Tiriba with african's is a real treat for me!
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 2 of 3
  • 39 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable