[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What is your favourite dunun part to play? - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By Marc_M
Everyone has their favourite part. Typically djembe gets all the noise, but I was wondering what everyone's favourite part to play on the dunun is - that part that you could play all night if you had to.

My vote goes to the Sangban part of Dibon.
any dununba part to any dununba rhythm. then sangban for any dununba after that.

plenty of variations and echauffements to be played with someone who's tight on their dunun stuff.

edit to add: mendiani as well.
By ozlady
The dunumba for Sinte is so cool - it's really challenging and I'm no good at it yet, but I love to play it.

Also the kinkine for djole - it's just that little bit tricky - makes it fun!
By bubudi
tough call. lately i've been playing 3 duns ballet style - quite enjoyable and much like being a one man dunun section. i still love playing any of the dunun separately, and hearing all the bells together. i really enjoy the different textures that each dunun imparts, and the combined melody they make. so i don't mind which i play. often i prefer the sangban and dununba parts of rhythms because there is good scope of variation there. especially with mendiani and the dunun rhythms which are really addictive, as are the khassonke dunun patterns and variations.
By e2c
Sangban or dununba on virtually any rhythm, though i have a real fondness for dununbas. (having spent some time working on a couple of them this past spring.)

At this point, I'm very new to duns in general, so virtually anything will keep me entertained! The rhythm I've been working on lately (sangban): balakulanjan. But I'm also spending a lot of time playing my drums ballet-style, because I need to get a feel for using two sticks - and, of course, because it's fun! :D
By Shasha
Hi ! I'm really enjoying learning the dununs part of Kuku. Also I'm trying to move and drum to Macru and Sorsonet. It is such a miracle when I can keep my beat and move my feet ! Thanks to Colleen Hendrick and Kris Kimmel at Bush Mango, I actually have dreams of getting there.
By Marc_M
Hey Shasha -

Were you at Famoudou's workshops at Bush Mango? I came in from Canada. Give a big shoutout to Kris and Colleen at Bush Mango for me.

Keep up the work on the dununs. It gets easier... until you get to the Dunungbas. :lol:
By Shasha
Sadly I had to miss Famoudou's workshop. Two reasons: first, didn't feel ready in spite of Kris' encouragement; and, second, I was still paying off one of Wula's excellent drums and felt strapped for money. Hope to meet you next time, and I will say hi for you Monday when I meet with Colleen and Tuesday when I see Kris in his class.
By bubudi
jamsa wrote:i like playing komo dununba, lots of energy . and i love classical sandia[djelidon} arrangment its so all over the steps you dont need djembe.
yea i know what you mean. hard to find people that know how to play it like that, though.
By jamsa
bubudi not that hard apparently nice to know ya, seems like that arrangment is being remembered. for a while i thought ony certain places in mali played it that way. but this summer i was playing in montana ,mouminatou camara and sekou{daryl} presented it this way. seems hard to not believe once you see the steps on it. much love aye djeli a da
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 3
  • 39 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable