[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Show off your axe - Page 42 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By michi
Just a suggestion: next time when you post a pic, size it so it's no wider than about 400 pixels. Otherwise, the board software doesn't cope with it all that well…

For people having problem viewing the image, right-click and select "Open image in new window" (or something to that effect). That should show the image in a sensible way.

Cheers,

Michi.
By zurghhh
Michi - Still not as sensible as the other posted pictures - but somewhat better.

It doesn't seem to work very well posting pictures from an I-phone :)
By The Dank
New djembe, as of yesterday. It's a lenke Ivory Coast drum built with cow skin by Motherland Music in LA. It sounds awesome, and I really like the interesting stripes in the grain pattern of the wood!

The eventual goal for this drum is to have it be a cranked, cracking solo drum.
Attachments
cracker resized.jpg
cracker resized.jpg (97.86KiB)Viewed 2829 times
By michi
Nice job! I particularly like handle! Could you post a close-up of that?

I'm not so sure about the weave over two pairs of verticals. It tends to get ultra-messy if you need to start another row. (It looks good, but I don't think it's all that practical.)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Michel
Here is my favourite drum at the moment. Just did a reheading, the second I did by myself... The drum was made for me in Bamako in 2010, by a local carver. I chose the model, 2 days later it was ready to take to the Netherlands. Skin broke last year, after that I put quite a thick goat on it. The drum is short, only 55 cm. Diameter of the playable surface of the skin is 35 cm. During the pulling of a first attempt to rehead it, I used a locking pliers that made some damages to the rope. And during the second attempt (this one) the rope broke because of the damages.... But I could save the skin, luckily the rope broke close to the loop, so I just could pull the loop one vertical further and make a knot where it broke. After that happened, I didn't trust the rope that much anymore so decided not to pull the verticals too much. To make it the way it is now, I made a whole round of weave, plus some extra knots on the second round.

I just played it in the lesson with my teacher. It sounds really low and loud, like an traditional old djembe. I love it! And my fellow students as well, it adds some extra spice to all the high-pitched drums.
Attachments
Mali drum 2010.jpg
Mali drum 2010.jpg (17.73KiB)Viewed 2814 times
By davidognomo
I really like it, Michel. That's exactly the kind of drum I would like to have for a second djembe. In opposition to a guinean/conacry one.
Michel wrote:During the pulling of a first attempt to rehead it, I used a locking pliers that made some damages to the rope.
I had the same problem with my pliers. I told about it to a friend, he said he had the same problem and told me to tape the part of the pliers that hold the rope. It's the rough surface of that part that shreds the rope. After I did that, the rope stopped appearing dammaged. The tape I used held on for a while, then, with usage, started to deteriorate. I switch it for some more new one and it holds for let's say one or two rehead jobs. Maybe with some better tape... It does the job, anyway :bandaid:
By michi
Nice drum. Similar in shape to my Jina djembe.

For the locking pliers, tape won't do the job. Either use vinyl tubing, or file down the serrations on the jaws, so you won't damage the rope.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Michel
Hi Michi,

yes I saw the Jina djembe's, it's Jeremy Chevrier's isn't it. Does your Jina djembe (jina is spirit? Why is it called that way, is it Jeremy's invention?) sound so nice and 'old'? That's what I like about it so much. I think the shape of the bowl has to do with it.
But I think mine is shorter, only 55 cm. It looks a bit strange, me and my djembe, since I am almost 2 metres tall....

Thanks for the suggestion about the locking pliers. I will file the serrations on the jaws before my next reheading job!
By michi
Yes, "jina" means "spirit". I believe Jeremy came up with this is a trademark for the drums he was selling. I got mine in January 2008 in Bamako from Jeremy. Mine is short too, probably around 57 cm. I think the sound comes from the larger than usual volume of the bowl, as well as the large diameter. Naturally, a larger head will give you lower pitch for the same amount of tension on the skin. So, it makes for an ideal bass djembe. On the other hand, I've had it cranked to solo pitch and, with that, the drum is unbelievably loud. (Problem with this is that the skins will only last a few months.)

Cheers,

Michi.
By gr3vans
just because its awesome. not because it's mine.
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg (65.69KiB)Viewed 2746 times
from baro. can't remember the fola's last name, but his first name is Abdoulaye. Daniel, can you help me out here?
By dleufer
Is that Mansa Camio's "special" drum? I think the story was that his uncle died right after carving it so they call it "Noumoudy" in honour of him. Definitely a really nice sounding djembe.
By Shaeren
Here's a photo of my latest djembe - Guinea lenke shell carved by Lye Konate, build by Drumroots.
Attachments
DR117 shell.jpg
DR117 shell.jpg (34.9KiB)Viewed 2718 times
DR117 with skin.jpg
DR117 with skin.jpg (22.88KiB)Viewed 2718 times
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 42 of 47
  • 697 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable