For chatting and discussions.
By jimmymack71
Oh they sound great!! the 14 inch drum I put a thick goat skin from ivory coast and the cow skins are cranked up high,I love the feel of cow skin!! I just sold the red one,ouch,but I sell all of them which can sometimes be hard to let go of them,but each one is a learning process of letting go!!
By michi
worldcal wrote:masterpiece. how long does it take to acquire skills to build beautiful drum like this ?
It's a matter of time (to accumulate experience and to try different things) and a matter of how many drums you do. I got fairly good by the time I'd done the first hundred or so. But, nearly ten years after building my first drum, I'm still learning new tricks.

To some extent, it also depends what skills you have for working with wood, metal, rope, and various tools. None of it is rocket science, so anyone can learn it. But there is also an artistic aspect to it all. For lack of better words "feeling" the materials and figuring out what a drum needs. Some people are really good at this, others not so good. Call it aptitude, if you will.

If you are keen, just start by re-heading your own drum. It's fun and rewarding, and you'll relate to your drum differently and understand it better if you build it yourself. You'll learn something new each time you do it. After a year or two, you'll probably get other people coming to you to fix their drums and, before you know it, you'll be doing lots. At least, that's what happened to me :)

Cheers,

Michi.
By The Dank
My Wula drum, Patience, headed with cow skin for the first time. George at Motherland Music put this skin on in November, and it's played in very nicely since then. I currently have it at a very high solo pitch, and it sounds freaking awesome.

I get lots of positive comments on this drum wherever I go. Kudos to Tom and the rest of the Wula team for creating such a fantastic instrument!
Attachments
Patience cow resized.jpg
Patience cow resized.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
By michi
Gorgeous! And very clean heading job too, by the looks of it.

You should be proud of that drum!

Michi.
By The Dank
Yeah, the folks over at Motherland Music do some really top-notch drum work.

And thanks, I am very proud of this instrument. It's treated me well for the 3 years that I've had it.

I currently have two top notch drums (this one and a Mali shell from Djembe Direct). There are a lot of people in the LA area who have equally fantastic djembes, but it's rare that I come across a djembe that I personally like more than my two drums. I definitely got very lucky, because I actually purchased both drums online without ever hearing or playing them.

~D
By Wooden Roots
The Dank wrote:Yeah, the folks over at Motherland Music do some really top-notch drum work.

And thanks, I am very proud of this instrument. It's treated me well for the 3 years that I've had it.

I currently have two top notch drums (this one and a Mali shell from Djembe Direct). There are a lot of people in the LA area who have equally fantastic djembes, but it's rare that I come across a djembe that I personally like more than my two drums. I definitely got very lucky, because I actually purchased both drums online without ever hearing or playing them.

~D
Hey Dan,

Good seeing you on here. Your drum is sweet and dialed in very nicely. You also play very well might I add.

Marcus
By zurghhh
Drumskull Lenke and Wula Khadi - these drums are both sweet.

Very happy with them and feel fortunate to have such nice shells.
Attachments
Wula Khadi.JPG
Wula Khadi.JPG (136.06 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Drumskull Lenke.JPG
Drumskull Lenke.JPG (125.49 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Last edited by zurghhh on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.