[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Show off your axe - Page 3 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By Dugafola
bops wrote:Nice... is that from Drumskulls? Show us pix when you head it up.
as promised....

put it up last week and pulled it up over the weekend. i think i'm going to thoroughly enjoy playing it. it has a super clean tone. not sure if that's from the skin or the wood...probably a combo of both.
Attachments
IMG_2632 small.jpg
IMG_2632 small.jpg (96.04KiB)Viewed 3169 times
By rachelnguyen
Holy Cow (or goat, LOL)

That is a beautiful skin! And you did a really great job. Did you shave it before you mounted it?

I just love those spotted goats.

Rachel
By Dugafola
it's a thick goat skin from Mali.

i wet shaved it before i mounted it.

i think it's going to be a keeper. :D
By rachelnguyen
Duga,

I've never shaved a skin that wasn't mounted. I use a regular double edge razor blade to shave.... I wonder if I can do a wet shave on a unmounted skin with that? I am going to have to try it next time. I love the way it looks.
By Dugafola
rachelnguyen wrote:Duga,

I've never shaved a skin that wasn't mounted. I use a regular double edge razor blade to shave.... I wonder if I can do a wet shave on a unmounted skin with that? I am going to have to try it next time. I love the way it looks.

you sure can. i recommend finding a scrap skin to practice your technique on though.

also, it's easier if you can make the skin taut. i use clamps and a piece of wood. and use a file to dull out the corners of the blade to help avoid snags and unwanted slices in the skin. some people like to use the flexy razor blades.

you can also get some electric clippers to buzz the skin down so it's easier to shave. i used to do this but it was an extra step. i have since just started to take the blade to it direct.

or you can just buzz it and then mount it. then do your dry shave afterwards...for that 5 o'clock shadow look to it.
By Beerfola
Hey, they could almost be twins. I love mine to. It became an instant favorite.
IC Spot.jpg
IC Spot.jpg (246.69KiB)Viewed 3137 times
By scdreger

Drumskulls will be heading this up for me this week. Hopefully I have it in my hands next week. :D
By BobF
what's the difference (asthetically/sound-wise) between a wet and a dry shave?

And how did you get that mounted with no wrinkles in the skin!?!?!! I've tried a bunch of different things and the best so far has been a tire inner tube around the head while it's drying but I still end up with some wrinkles.
By Dugafola
BobF wrote:what's the difference (asthetically/sound-wise) between a wet and a dry shave?

And how did you get that mounted with no wrinkles in the skin!?!?!! I've tried a bunch of different things and the best so far has been a tire inner tube around the head while it's drying but I still end up with some wrinkles.
a wet shave can look cleaner then a dry shave. dry shaves will have the hair on the skin over. if the hair has been buzzed and is nice and short, i don't mind personally. but if the hair is all long and nasty and still has blood and our crusty terds on it etc....no thanks.

as far as sound, i think wet shaved skins are a little 'wetter' sounding with a bit of an overtone. i'm not talking Remo overtone or anything, but just a tad bit more sustain or "nyang" then a dry shave. dry shaved, as you may have guessed, a bit drier sounding. that is my experience.

it comes down to preference. i prefer wet shaved skins.

for the wrinkle thing...how may sets of verts do you have? the more verts you have, the better chance you'll have less wrinkles. you have the right idea about tying off the skin. go back to my post in your "reheading question" thread in the TA section.
By BobF
Abou Sylla took my djembe to Boone, NC so I don't know exactly but I think it has between 28-30 pairs. I checked the TA subject I posted about reheading and didn't see anything about how to do a hair-over with no wrinkles. Maybe I missed it?

Thanks again for all the help!
Bob
By Dugafola
bob,

see the paragraph about tying off your skin in the 1st paragraph. tie the skin up radially to the center. then do your wet pull. doing the wet pull when the skin is like this will stretch it and will aid in eliminating wrinkles and creases. the more holes you punch in the skin for the tie off, the better chance you have of no crease/wrinkles.

once you're done with the wet pull. use your rubber to tie off the skin.
By kana
Hey all!

I've posted pictures somewhere else in the forums, but just realized this is where they should be! :uglynerd:
Attachments
Wula 1st drum.jpg
1st Drum from Wula
Wula 1st drum.jpg (153.61KiB)Viewed 3014 times
Wula 2nd drum.jpg
2nd Drum from Wula (waiting for delivery!)
Wula 2nd drum.jpg (33.06KiB)Viewed 3013 times
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 3 of 47
  • 697 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable