For chatting and discussions.
By korman
My solo djembe. AWA balafon wood.
Attachments
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG (176.12 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
By batadunbata
Looks great Korman, I can't wait to hear it, if you're able to record.
I'm going to start a thread like this one but to "hear your djembe", so we can hear what they sound like as well.

That shell shape looks good for thick crisp tones, is that standard for the AWA line?
(Deep slightly tapering bowl, stem with almost parallel section, then a rounded flare)
By michi
korman wrote:My solo djembe. AWA balafon wood.
That one is very pretty! I really like the wood grain on the bowl. Beautiful drum!

Michi.
By korman
batadunbata wrote:Looks great Korman, I can't wait to hear it, if you're able to record.
I'm afraid my technique does not yet do it full justice:) There are a few phone-made videos on our group's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/afropulss/, but I wish I could record with a better sound quality!
batadunbata wrote:That shell shape looks good for thick crisp tones, is that standard for the AWA line? (Deep slightly tapering bowl, stem with almost parallel section, then a rounded flare)
Yes, that seems to be their general style. In fact, because of the stem diameter, it did not fit in the standard Meinl djembe bag, I had to get a custom-made one.
michi wrote: That one is very pretty! I really like the wood grain on the bowl. Beautiful drum!
Thanks, Michi! I'm proud of it:) It's interesting that I picked this particular one from the bunch because I liked the sound and it felt slightly lighter .. and then Jeremy explained that it was not a freshly carved shell, but had actually been his drum for a few years.
By michi
korman wrote:Thanks, Michi! I'm proud of it:) It's interesting that I picked this particular one from the bunch because I liked the sound and it felt slightly lighter .. and then Jeremy explained that it was not a freshly carved shell, but had actually been his drum for a few years.
I believe I briefly played this drum in Tulum, Mexico in 2014. I'm pretty sure that Jeremy had that drum with him and I tried it out back then. The skin was different though.

Michi.
By korman
michi wrote:I believe I briefly played this drum in Tulum, Mexico in 2014. I'm pretty sure that Jeremy had that drum with him and I tried it out back then. The skin was different though.
Wow, thanks for sharing that, Michi!
By michi
korman wrote:
michi wrote:Wow, thanks for sharing that, Michi!
I'm not 100% certain. It's possible that I played a drum that was similar, but not the exact same one.

Regardless, this a great looking instrument!

Michi.