For chatting and discussions.
By michi
Damn :( That's West Africa for you. Even though things may look stable, they can change suddenly and without warning because there are so many different interest groups and ethnicities jammed into a single "country" that discontent foments almost eternally. Combine that with political naiveté, where some piss-pot idiot thinks he has what it takes to run a country, and you get the kind of thing we saw in Mali, and are seeing now in Burkina.

You may be lucky: there is some time until Christmas and there is at least some chance that things may settle down before then. I'd check with your contacts in Burkina. Someone who lives where you want to go will probably be able to give you a good idea of the actual situation. Press reports sensationalise things, and they bother to report only the bad stuff, because the good stuff is boring. It's easy to get the impression that things are hopeless when, in many regions, it may be business as usual.

Michi.
By djembefeeling
The coup failed, the insurgents steped down from power. Still, not really the time one wants to travel over. The elections are postponed to November 22 (instead of October 11), so the situation will be uncertain till at least the beginning of December.
By michi
You'll have to play it by ear. Chances are that, even in the middle of an insurrection, the vast part of the population is going to be mostly unaffected. It's not as if you'd be stepping off the plane into a hail of bullets…

Work you local contacts and see what they have to say. That's likely to be a far better indication of what's really happening than any media outlet.

Michi.
By djembefeeling
Well, I think that's it for me and my trip. In this kind of situation almost everyone is affected. In the capital Ouagadougou, the elite troups faced the regular military in a standoff and we are lucky that nothing happened. Even though the bullets are not likely to fly around your body while you're there, the situation is grim enough when the airport is closed and you have now telecommunication because the net is shut down. I wouldn't like to be a lame duck over there waiting for some plane to leave in some unknown distant future.

The Neue Züricher Zeitung says even though the conflict was defused, it wasn't resolved for good:

http://www.nzz.ch/international/afrika/ ... 1.18618570

That sounds too risky for me with elections ahead that late of the year...
By djembefeeling
Wow, the government really managed to have the presidential guard dissolved and disarmed without significant resistance and, even more important, without any retaliation on those soldiers from the people! A sign of a disciplined civil society. That is very promising news for Burkina!