For chatting and discussions.
By Brian Lynch
Does anyone know if salt can effect a hide. When a skin is normally pulled off an animal in Africa it is left straight out to dry in the heat, unfortunately over here that is not entirely possible. I got access to cow skins from a meat factory but they come salted in order to keep them from rotting. I have worked with salted skins before and felt i had good results from the skin but i would like to hear from anybody else who has worked with salted skins. :uglynerd: Also if anyone has left a skin in warm water to loosen the hairs from the follicles so they can be pulled off by hand.i did this recently with a horse skin but felt it took a protective layer of epidermis skin and pigment, the sound was good when skinned up and tuned but maybe a little dry. What do you think.
By boromir76
I have tried fresh (european) cow skins on dunduns and also goat skins on djembe, but can not remember if they were salted...I think they were. They were fresh for sure, so I had to dry them first. Cow skins were OK, but I found european goatskins to thin, not so resistent for tuning and not so good sounding as w- africans. One thing that I also remember is, they smelled horrible, especialy cow hide...
I doubt that salt has much structural effect on hide, especially on the one that is thicker kind.