For chatting and discussions.
By djembefeeling
thanks for this interesting website. lots of reports on all of Africa. I found this article of particcular interest, since it reports on the situation of all the countries hit hard by Ebola:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201410101168.html

In just one week, October 1-8, more than 900 new cases have been reported and almost 600 deaths. In total that means 8.399 reported cases and 4.033 deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_viru ... est_Africa

Because of the slow reaction of the world community, David Nabarro from the UN told the UN council that actions against the endemic will now cost up to 20 times more than was estimated before October 1st. If the world will not raise its help considerably, we might have to live with Ebola for good.
By djembefeeling
The WHO has new assessments on Ebola. The official numbers are 8914 cases and 4447 deaths. Mortality rate is now officially assessed to be 70 %. Experts think that real numbers of cases are 1,5 times higher in Guinea, 2 times higher in Sierra Leone and 2,5 times higher in Liberia. Even though numbers of new cases in the most affected areas are declining, the WHO expects up to 10.000 new cases every week by december if nothing substantially will be done by the world community.

Personally, I am loosing hope that this can still be contained. Even if the world community would wake up and do everything they could, there would be lots of problems in logistics. There is hardlys any infrastucture in those countries, even now most of the stuff that has been sent is still waiting for delivery. It would take a couple of weeks to overcome those problems. But in a couple of weeks the numbers of people infected will be overwhelming, I suspect. If you see how a hospital in the U.S. with an isolation station cannot keep Ebola from spreading to its staff, how should that be possible in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia? And with with thousands of cases in those countries, how can neighbouring countries prevent an outbreak?
By michi
Unfortunately, there is no limit to the amount of ignorance of policy makers :-(

Michi.
By djembefeeling
News on Ebola have been confusing the last weeks due to changing procedures in counting cases. But it seems to be clear now that my scepticism about the international aid program was wrong. Especially the massive American aid in Liberia has had a great effect. Numbers of new cases are significantly lower, and there is no exponential growths anywhere in Westafrica. The more than 500 new reported cases in Sierra Leone seem to be the result of growing capacities in laboratory equipment.

One of the many possible vacines against Ebola first tested in the USA on 20 people had no serious side effects and good results in antibodies. It'll take months till this vacine might be tested on a larger scale and produced, but this is certainly very promising news.

The bad news is that Mali is in danger to become a new hotspot after the Imam from Guinea infected a number of people in Bamako and 600 people are under observation now...
By Michel
A friend of mine who lives in Bamako says 7 cases of Ebola are for sure now. A lot of measures have been taken, people with thermometers and places to wash hands are everywhere. An advantage for Mali is that they take the measures immediately, they have learned from the situations in the three other countries. But my friend is also talking about leaving the country in case of an outbreak... Fingers crossed!
By gr3vans
Here is a great show of support for some of the artist communities that are impacted by the current lack of work be it musical tourism or local traditional ceremonies and marriages that just aren't happening due to issues related to ebola.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKGaq-YqW6M[/video]

If you are so moved feel free to add to the contributions for this campaign, or even use your own communities to set up your own campaign.

http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbo ... ans/250220

Please remember that no one is traveling this year for stage in guinee and many of the surrounding countries. Some artists are even leaving their families in hopes that they will have access to work in Senegal or Gambia. Anything we can do to support the artists that bring us so much life is not only noble, but allows for us all to continue on our path towards understanding this music and dance and also makes it possible for the next generation.

Thanks everyone for watching.
By djembefeeling
The UN is optimistic that we see a substantial decline in new cases of the ebola disease right now. Liberia even thinks it might be free of ebola by the end of February. There are also less new cases in Guinea and Sierra Leone. It is hard to tell if this will turn out as predicted now, since this ebola outbreak surprised the experts many times, but I feel much better with such news!
By michi
Yes, it's definitely been looking up the past month or so. Good news, and what a relief! The last thing countries like Liberia and Guinea needed was this. It'll take them three or four years easily to recover from the economic fallout, never mind the human catastrophe :(

Michi.
By djembefeeling
Less than 100 people got officially sick from ebola this past week. The UN is very optimistic that ebola can be defeated soon.