[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Music is the answer - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 12 posts
By michi
This was beautiful to watch, thank you!

There are forms of autism where people are completely unreachable by any kind of stimulus, except really extreme ones, such as pain. The one thing they will respond to though is music.

Michi.
By the kid
I once done some drumming with some people with down syndrome and it was pretty amazing. It was a brother and sister and the sister was about 35 and never spoke to me or communicated with strangers. Really she moved around her house like a ghost and seemed a bit angry.The guy was wheel-chair bound and was really cool. He was pretty simple but had a great personality.
When i played the guy in the chair was ecstatic, eyes rolling and blissed out. The lady came into the room and was actually happy looking and had a content smile on her face. She then started to ring a bell on a bicycle in the room and was laughing and having a good time. The drumming and music really cut into her psyche and released her to express herself and have fun. It is a powerful medium to work with people with disabilities. Some friends of mine use the Javanese Gamelon music to work with groups of people with disabilities and have great fun and really help the people.
By djembeweaver
Thanks for posting that. I've read about this in Oliver Sack's books but never seen this video. You should check out his books 'Awakenings', 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' and 'An anthropologist on mars'. They are full of equally amazing things.
By djembeweaver
Your brain on jazz: Some more up-to-date research, this time on improvisation. This guy (Charles Limb) is doing interesting research on the neuroscience of improvisation.

http://www.sciencentral.com/video/2008/ ... n-on-jazz/

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hmn/s08/feature4.cfm

Here's an excellent short lecture by Charles Limb. Well worth watching:

http://brainposts.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0 ... -talk.html

Interestingly when musicians were trading solos areas of the brain associated with language were very active. Equally interesting, and more surprising, is that areas associated with vision were very active. I think this is why I tend to look to the side when I solo - it's easier to switch off my eyes.
By bkidd
Fun. When do we put djembefolas in an MRI scanner and see what areas of the brain become active when soloing versus playing an accompaniment? :)
By michi
bkidd wrote:Fun. When do we put djembefolas in an MRI scanner and see what areas of the brain become active when soloing versus playing an accompaniment? :)
I bet that, for many people, it'll be the area of the brain that people use when they are lost in a forest and are desperately trying to find a way out ;)

Michi.
By djembefeeling
djembeweaver wrote:Your brain on jazz: Some more up-to-date research, this time on improvisation. This guy (Charles Limb) is doing interesting research on the neuroscience of improvisation.
Thank you so much for this. Every single link was so fascinating... :afro:
By bops
@djembeweaver, those articles were interesting! The results of those experiments (by Limb) are not surprising to me at all. I've often felt the sensation of my brain shutting off, when I get really "in the zone", and that the music just comes out without me thinking about it at all. Abdoul Doumbia has described this happening to him, as well. I think it's common for musicians playing African music (or African diasporic music, including jazz).

I would be curious to know if there is a significant difference in brain chemicals released during the experiment. For instance, I'd bet that improvising releases more endorphins and serotonin (the body's natural pleasure chemical) during improvisation than reciting memorized material.

Just pretending to know what I'm talking about here. ;-)
By djembeweaver
I would be curious to know if there is a significant difference in brain chemicals released during the experiment. For instance, I'd bet that improvising releases more endorphins and serotonin (the body's natural pleasure chemical) during improvisation than reciting memorized material
Almost certainly...otherwise we wouldn't be motivated to do it.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 12 posts