[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The official "I just learn't something new" thread - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
Congrats James!

I just learned how to mud and tape drywall... and hopefully I'll never have to use these "skills" again :)

wait... was this supposed to be djembe related?

Well, it was drywall in my workshop, and I was listening to Mamady Keita's Hamanah - which has bolo konodo.
I learned (American for learn't ;) ) all the parts for Kpanlago (popular Ghanaian rhthym), Goombe (Ghanaian circumcision rhythm), Ginger and Tubaraka (popular Ghanaian djembe rhythms), and Wassalodon. Now if I can just keep them from leaking out of my head!

RHD--drywalling and taping isn't so bad. Sanding mud really sucks!
I learned to stop cupping my hands to get the slap even though it sounds great like I did when I had my conga's. I need to keep my hands in the same position as the tone but use my fingertips to obtain the slap and be patient...practice...practice and practice.
djembeweaver wrote:I just learned to play djembe 1 for Soboninkun whilst singing the sanbang part.

That bent my head a bit.
Good on ya! :)

Now try the other way around: sing the djembe part while playing the sangban part. Also do it both ways with Mendiani, singing the sangban while playing djembe and vice versa. It's a really good exercise :)

Cheers,

Michi.
Now try the other way around: sing the djembe part while playing the sangban part
Good call. That's a bit harder actually but I'm getting it.
Also do it both ways with Mendiani, singing the sangban while playing djembe and vice versa
I can play kan ki dan and sing pretty much anything. The other way is a bit harder if you play the swing bell but do-able. I know some other sanbang bell patterns though and they are a bit tricky to play whilst singing the djembe. I will work on that next.
Another challenge for Mendiani: tap the beat with your foot, play the sangban with your hands, and sing the dundunba. It took me a while--not easy to stay anchored in the rhythm. (I found Mendiani very hard to feel on the right side for a long time. This exercise really helped.)

Cheers,

Michi.
EvanP wrote:...all the parts for Kpanlago, Goombe, Ginger and ...Wassalodon.
You wouldn't have just come back from Ekome Tour would you Evan?? Sounds like some of the same rhythms I learnt in 2008!! The "ginger" one is called Kakachoofa, which means ginger!

If you did just come back, were you in the main group or the advanced group?
I recently learned the dunuba part to konkoba. And, I learned some dundun dance. I also just made my own tshirt that says across the front, "BAH DAH BEE DEE BAH" so people will remember how to get my attention when I play for dance class.
Last edited by Waraba on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Might I also add, I learned once again that, no matter how loud you think you are at home, once you get to dance class it isn't loud enough, and, no matter how good your slap sounds at home, it isn't really a slap after all.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 20 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable