For chatting and discussions.
very very nice!
but this is a dielect from a bit more north, between Francfurt and Karlsruhe (so around Heidelberg) and Speyer and maybe the northern Elsace. It's not written in a very strong dialect (even I could spell it, but I would put more "sch" (sh) in it, as they do in Francfurt ("heilisch" for heilig=holy), not as the people from Freiburg do: every time a "sh" for "st" (was willsch?=what do you want?).

OK, we're quite far from the original subject now. I don't know, if people from different dialect regions in Germany or France will play different djembé styles automatically...
Probably what we here from (and in) West Africa has more influence on our play.

Have a nice evening,
D
By michi
e2c wrote:There's a very little bit here - check the passage that's headed as "Writing System 2":
Interesting. I had no trouble reading this. Especially the version in the second column reads a lot like someone had written down Bavarian phonetically; I had no trouble reading it. I'd say that some of these people must have come from Bavaria or parts of the Alpine regions in Germany.

Cheers,

Michi.
By e2c
Mostly from the German-speaking part of Switerzland, Alsace (as Daniel correctly guessed), etc. If you look further in that Wiki article, both religion and geography are mentioned, and that's quite important. (Mennonites and Amish Mennonites. There were still some Amish Mennonites in both areas during the late 19th-early 20th century, but they have literally died out.)

I'm also of German descent, but was raised Lutheran, like many other PA Germans. There were a number of "waves" of German immigration; many people came from the Palatinate - and can easily find their ancestors listed on ships' manifests and lists of passengers. (Not so in our case, however.)

Even more complex: many people who fled wars in the Palatinate became refugees in Ireland, then came to the US. (Others stayed there.)

Also, keep in mind that people who would never have met in Germany did meet over here, because they came as immigrants, so there was/is some mixing of cultural and linguistic traits. It's much the same with Italian Americans, Greek Americans - and German Americans who came over in the 19th century. They have a different culture; many were/are Catholic as well, and from other parts of Germany, as well as from Austria. (For example: in cities like NYC and Chicago, St. Louis - with big German populations - there were many German-owned beer gardens at one time. No beer gardens in this locale, although I'm sure my ancestors drank plenty of beer.)

OK... /threadjack ;)