[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
djembe learning resource - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 5 posts
By wonderwebb
Hi i found this site which seemed to be quite good for learning a few rythms .

djembebeats.co.uk

Can anyone verify if the handing is correct in the videos? i was looking at passport and saw that they were doubling up on the first two slaps. I was shown it as hand to hand . does it matter or make a diffrence if it sounds the same ?

looked at the lessons here and have tried them. Do any of you know of any more good resources for learning rythms and handing which are clearly set out such as this site and the one above :dundun: .

cheers
wonderwebb
By michi
wonderwebb wrote:Hi i found this site which seemed to be quite good for learning a few rythms .

djembebeats.co.uk
Interesting site. I hadn't come across that one before. The approach is really nice, with all the small videos. The notation is awful though, IMO. Totally counter-intuitive, especially putting the slaps on the bottom row and the basses on the top row.

Watching the players, they are not particularly accomplished. Their technique is far from clean, and neither is the micro-timing.
i was looking at passport and saw that they were doubling up on the first two slaps. I was shown it as hand to hand . does it matter or make a diffrence if it sounds the same ?
If Mamady sees you playing it that way, he'll have your guts for garters ;) The handing that Mamady teaches is hand-over-hand (as if you were ghosting), so the right hand doubles up on the transition from the last slap to the first tone.

The handing shown in the video is ballet handing. Some people argue that this is easier because you get a semi-quaver more rest at the point where the right hand doubles up. But playing it that way means that your right hand plays both off- and on-beats, which makes it harder to maintain steady time and feel.
Do any of you know of any more good resources for learning rythms and handing which are clearly set out such as this site and the one above
I highly recommend Mamady's teaching DVDs, as well as Bangouraké's teaching DVDs.

Cheers,

Michi.
By wonderwebb
i thought that was the case with passport my teacher is from the mamady camp and had taught us the way you described.

How are the other rythms can u look at some of them and let me know which ones are are safe to learn lol ! i know they can sound alot better but its more a case of making sure the handing right untill the mamady dvd turns up . Who knows santa might be bringing it friday :roll:

cheers michi
By michi
Hmmm... Looking through this, I'm not impressed:
  • I've never heard Macru accompaniment 1.
  • Macru accompaniment 2 has the wrong handing: the basses are supposed to stay on the right, the tones and slaps are supposed to be on the left.
  • The handing for Macru accompaniment 3 is wrong. The slaps following the base are supposed to be on the right. (At least, that's how Barbara Bangoura plays it on Mamady's teaching DVD.)
  • Kpanlogo accompaniment 1 has a an extra tone in it. I've never heard it played that way in Ghana (but that's not to say that some people don't play it way).
  • Kpanlogo accompaniment 2 I've never heard before. Not sure whether that's genuine.
  • Kpanlogo accompaniment 3 is wrong: it's shifted two pulses compared to where it should be. It also has an extra slap in it that I didn't come across in Ghana. Combining that incorrect accompaniment with the (correct) bell pattern creates a feel that is nothing like Kpanlogo. (If you played this for dancers who know the rhythm, they'd be severely confused.)
  • I have never heard Djansa accompaniment 1. It certainly is not traditional.
  • Djansa accompaniment 2 has the wrong handing. You should double up on the right going from the last slap to the first tone.
  • Djansa accompaniment 3 doesn't belong with Djansa. I've heard Mamady play it with Kuku, but it's an accompaniment that he invented for Kuku, that is, it's not a traditional accompaniment.
  • Djembe Fola appears to be a bastardisation of Yole, but all three accompaniments differ from the traditional Yole accompaniments.
  • Kassa accompaniment 2 has the wrong handing, as with Djansa.
  • Kassa accompaniment 3 isn't a traditional Kassa accompaniment but some modern invention.
I don't know the other rhythms. They are definitely not traditional.

One problem I have with the site is that the traditional rhythms are grossly distorted. This really is quite serious: if someone claims to be teaching a traditional rhythm, it has to be accurate, not some distorted version.

Another problem is that the player has shocking technique. For example, if you look at Djansa accompaniment 3 (slow), you can see the terrible technique. The hands are walking all over the drum, and the slap in particular is nothing like a djembe slap. His compulsive ghosting also is bad technique. His micro-timing is sloppy and, on some of the videos, you can hear him drifting off the pulse and coming back. In other words, his inner metronome is poor.

So, while the site itself is put together nicely, the competency of the musician is lacking severely. I recommend you get your material from people who know what they are talking about instead, such as the DVDs I recommended earlier.

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 5 posts