For chatting and discussions.
By Nodrog
Hi there,

I'm not a djembe expert but as far as I know it literally means 'player', as in Djembefola or balafola or I guess saxfola...hee,hee...

Gordon.
By Michel
Fola means the person who lets the instrument speak. So not only the 'player'of an instrument, but a lot more. A djembéfola is somebody who talks through his djembé. Beautifull, isn't it?

Michiel
By michi
Keep in mind though that "fola" doesn't mean "accomplished". Even a beginning djembe player is a djembefola, according to several teachers of mine.

Cheers,

Michi.
By Michel
And that is another beautifull side of the worldwide djembé community. I was surprised to be called djembéfola for the first time. I thought I wasn't ready for the title, but as my teacher during that workshop told me (it was Sega Sidibé): even a baby speaks! Luckily directly after that he said we were more like infants....
For what I understood means 'Fo' 'to speak' in the Mande-related languages. Musicians encourage each other to play/speak by saying 'Afo!'

Michiel
By bubudi
Michel wrote:but as my teacher during that workshop told me (it was Sega Sidibé): even a baby speaks! Luckily directly after that he said we were more like infants....

haha that sounds like sega's humour alright!

i still feel like an infant in this music in some ways.
By Djembe-nerd
What is then the meaning of these

- Foli
- Kan
By bops
Adam wrote:What is then the meaning of these

- Foli
- Kan
- Foli: rhythm
- Kan: sound or language (for example, Fula kan refers to the Fula language. Jembe kan refers to a solo jembe demonstration, literally "sound of the jembe")
By bubudi
strictly speaking foli means 'music' (literally: 'play', in the sense of playing music), although it applies to a rhythm as well, since certain types of music are only played on percussion, often without any melodic instrument.

kan also means voice and can also refer to the neck (throat).
By djembeweaver
In Maninka Ka Fo means to play or to speak.

So 'N ye Maninka kan fola' means I speak Maninka.

And 'N ye djembe kan fola' means I play (or speak) djembe.

So a djembe fola is someone who can make the djembe speak by getting the right sounds.
By djembeweaver
bops wrote:I speak Maninka would be 'Ne be Maninka kan fo'
I play jembe would be 'Ne be jembe fo'

'Ne ye' is first person, past tense. 'Ne ye Bamana kan fo' means I spoke Bamana.
Are you sure? As far as I understood it N' ye is 1st person present, N' ka is 1st person past and N' be (or N' di) is 1st person future tense. I know there are big regional variations though (i.e. the use of 'di' in Faranah but 'be' in Kankan).

I checked out the sentences I posted with Iya Sako last time I was over and he said they were good Maninka (though admitedly that doesn't necessarily mean they mean what I think they mean. If you know what I mean...)
By gottadrum462
Michel wrote:Fola means the person who lets the instrument speak. So not only the 'player'of an instrument, but a lot more. A djembéfola is somebody who talks through his djembé. Beautifull, isn't it?

Michiel
That is the most wonderful thing I've ever heard a one one say about the djembe...
It gave me chills.