[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
First Rhythms - Page 3 - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By e2c
bubudi wrote:yes, i think mendiani is probably better placed as an intermediate rhythm, as far as the basics go. there are advanced things that you could come back to later, but that also applies to many other rhythms.
it's the 1st one I worked on over an extended period of time, and you're right - it really is challenging for a newbie. but I think that learning the phrasing and parts helped a lot in getting me into the feel of many rhythms from Guinea (or maybe I should say Guinean ways of playing certain patterns?)
By Carl
michi@triodia.com wrote:Yes, if it comes to having a repertoire that other people you meet at drumming circles and such already know, these are better choices. (Fankani isn't all that well known.)
Interesting thing about Fankani and drum circles... Back when I was still going to drum circles, when people were asked to "bring something to the group" I almost always used Fankani, and it was always a hit. Easy to pick up, similar, yet different to other things that they would know.

It's a nice tune and it's a shame more people are not playing it. (insert personal bias here...)

:-)
C
By michi
Carl wrote:Back when I was still going to drum circles, when people were asked to "bring something to the group" I almost always used Fankani, and it was always a hit. Easy to pick up, similar, yet different to other things that they would know.
Yes, it's a cool rhythm, and it deserves to be played more often. I really like the sangban for Fankani--sort of misleads the listener into believing that the one is where it isn't. (At least, that's how I felt it when I first heard it.)

We'll be teaching Fankani in our beginners class starting Saturday week. I look forward to that one :)
It's a nice tune and it's a shame more people are not playing it. (insert personal bias here...)
Personal bias duly inserted... ;)

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 3 of 3
  • 33 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable