[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The big man himself - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By Paul
So, finally mamady made it to Ireland, though he assured me he was here in 1967. What amazes me is how approachable he was, we all went out and stuffed a few pints of Guinness into us afterwards.. U2 were playing a big concert that night and the city was packed.. We joked that thank god I dont like their music as whats the chance of Bono inviting you out for a pint..

Anyway the the workshop was for a fairly low level unfortunatly, but its all fairly new here and I learned alot from him and his wife. I chatted endlessly about stuff with her and if she didnt know she just turned round and asked him.. It was a great cultural exchnge as we gave him the low down on irish history and the origins of the black stuff.. And he had a jam with a couple of irish musicians (watch out its the future of world music) the night before..

Most of the people sitting around in the pub had no idea who they were and I think one of my friends asked if he played a bit of drums himself... which was hilarious...

Cheers Mamady
By Carl
The first time I met Mamady, I ended up going out to dinner with him with a bunch of students. Probably 6 or so students and at least that many of Mamady's people. That event had as much to do with my deciding to become a teacher as anything else that has happened to me with the djembe. He is such a inspirational person to hang out with. Knowledgeable, humble and deeply moved by anyone's interest in the music of the djembe.

I'm glad that you were able to bring him to your community.

I have found that there has been something for me to learn in any class that I have been to with him. Even on "easy" tunes, or on rhythms that I have been taught before. Don't worry about the level of your community, if you are teaching, or if there is someone in your area teaching, then the community will improve with time.

I have seen a dramatic change in the skill level up here in northern New England over the past 10 years. Sometimes it is frustrating, but I feel that it is worth it in the long view.

Peace,
C
By James
Monette was saying that she´s love to get Mamady to play with U2 :dance:

Funny enough I went to U2 to 2 days later and Larry Mullen the drummer from U2 was playing a djembe.... Not to endorse products or anything, but it seems that Toca is Larry´s choice of drum...

My impression, tainted as it is, is that U2 really go out of their way to shine the light on the other members of the band (other than bono). They have these big bridges that go out into the crowd and I guess Larry has usually been the only one who could never go walkabout, being stuck behind a drum kit and all...

Anyway, I can defo say that I´m better at djembe than Larry Mullen. I recommend Larry spend some time working on his technique and perhaps investing in a real drum :rofl:

Sorry anyway, back on topic :doh:

Mamady, yes. I remember drinking Guinness in that little ´old man´ pub and not quite believing that Mamady Keita was sitting there drinking Guiness there with me... :rofl:

What an experience... I reckon I got some subliminal vibes by playing at the same time as him during the workshop...

We were also treated to and informal "talk" in the national concert hall, which was probably the most interesting part for me. I shot a great video of it, that I will be making available as soon as I have time to get it up...

Anyway... rock on Mamady and company. I´m delighted that he paid us a visit and fair play to Brian and Robbie for making it possible... :clap:

PS: I found out 1 of the secrets... :giggle:
By michi
James wrote:Hard Work :flex:
Hmmm... Why call that a secret? I would have thought that's obvious :D

I keep telling my students that the only way to get good at drumming is to do lots of it. The more, the better. I also encourage them to play for dance classes whenever they can. Sitting on the same accompaniment for an hour or two at a time does wonders for technique, stamina, and micro-timing.

I still play for dancers whenever I can. And when I'm not playing lead, I sit there and play passport for an hour or two, and find that I still improve each time. Even though I've played it a million times before, I can always work on some skill or another. Working on the exact pitch and volume of my slaps, concentrating on how fat and solid I can make my tones, paying attention to micro-timing and how subtle changes in micro-timing affect the feel, paying attention to each of the other parts being played around me, singing another part while I'm playing my own, singing solo phrases for particular dance steps while I'm playing my own part, playing my part left-handed, etc. The possibilities are endless.

So, yes, hard work would have to be the number one thing when it comes to getting better. Not sure whether I'd call it a secret though ;-)

Cheers,

Michi.
By Dennis103
michi@triodia.com wrote:I still play for dancers whenever I can. And when I'm not playing lead, I sit there and play passport for an hour or two, and find that I still improve each time. Even though I've played it a million times before, I can always work on some skill or another. Working on the exact pitch and volume of my slaps, concentrating on how fat and solid I can make my tones, paying attention to micro-timing and how subtle changes in micro-timing affect the feel, paying attention to each of the other parts being played around me, singing another part while I'm playing my own, singing solo phrases for particular dance steps while I'm playing my own part, playing my part left-handed, etc. The possibilities are endless.
Well put! And don't forget trying to figure out which muscles to use when after three minutes you find out the hard way that you tire far too quickly... :D
By michi
bubudi wrote:someone's gotta buy that video to discover the djembe secrets :lol:
What video would that be?

Yes, I know, I'm probably about to fall prey to yet another insider joke I'm unaware of... ;) If there were a video about djembe secrets, they would hardly be secrets anymore :D

Cheers,

Michi.
By michi
e2c wrote:michi, just do a search on "djembe secrets" (or something like that) and you should be able to find the old threads in question... ;)
Ah, thanks for the tip! I found and read the old threads, and I stand enlightened. (But not so much that I'd know the secrets... ;) )

Cheers,

Michi.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 16 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable