[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hobbies - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
By silviuj
i thought it would be nice to see what other hobbies people have , well, except music drumming and dance which this forum is about.(for other maybe drumming became more than a hobby , a lifestyle).I for example, beside music and drumming(which i am a beginner at), also like rock climbing, mountaineering ,trekking and of course "pure nature" and literature and documentation. If someone shares the same interest be free to talk about it and maybe how they apply it to the area the live in
By the kid
Is listening to reggae and smoking ganja regarded as a hobby :rofl:
really do, i love nature, people, trees, mountains, bubbling brooks, dolphins, waterfalls and looking for leprachans.
By Dennis103
If you find a nice fairy, send her my way ... :D

I'm a forum programmer, web designer and software author as a hobby, amongst other things.
By bubudi
nice thread, silviuj ;) i also like being out in the elements, especially the beach. in summer i work my exercise routine around that. i go camping and bushwalking when i can. i've tried sailing and deep sea fishing and really liked that too. one of these days i'm going to try mountain climbing. and go on a skydive. that would be an awesome experience.
By Carl
Hobbies... Many. My current faves are:
Farming (just a couple of raised beds right now, but my wife and I are planning a chicken house by the end of the summer, hopefully in time to have chickens happy by winter. possibly goats further down the road... my wife has already told me that I'm not allowed to name them.... :twisted: )

Mathematics / physics: mostly reading, I read a great book on prime numbers recently as well as one on mathematical "infinities" which was pretty cool... :uglynerd:

Other instruments: Oud, Cora, Bala, Frame Drums, Darabouka, Ngoni, Electric bass (though not in the past few years) just about anything that I can get my hands on... I'll have to start a new thread on the benefits of being a BAD artist sometime... :-)

Cryptography: I'm still on a mailgroup working on the Kryptos sculpture at the CIA headquarters. I worked on it pretty hard for about a year and a half, but then had to move on to other things...

Hiking / Camping: try to climb one mountain and spend one night outdoors every summer... not as much as I used to do "back in the day"

Cooking! My wife and I spend many quality time hours in the kitchen together... most recent "favorite recipe": chile rellenos pancakes!

C
By silviuj
cooking is nice, i mean not cooking like the pro chefs but like hobby cooking and doing it out of fun and pleasure...and eat it afterwards :lol:
By Carl
silviuj wrote:cooking is nice, i mean not cooking like the pro chefs but like hobby cooking and doing it out of fun and pleasure...and eat it afterwards :lol:
Yeah, it's hard to beat a hobby involving food!

:-)

C
By silviuj
yeah and mix food and nature and youl end up with a drea :D :D one of those small "backpackers" djembe would do the musical part :shock: :uglynerd: :D :o :?
By rachelnguyen
Ok. Should I be concerned that I can't think of a single thing I would rather be doing than playing my drum with a bunch of other people?

(Well, maybe there is one thing I can think of.... but this is a family forum, LOL.)

:mrgreen:
By Dennis103
Haha - try both at the same time (some in the group taking turns of course) ... wild :dance:
By bubudi
rachelnguyen wrote:(Well, maybe there is one thing I can think of.... but this is a family forum, LOL.)
i would say an m rated family forum 8)
but rachel, does what you're thinking about qualify as a hobby? :lol:
By Nodrog
If Rachel's 'hobby' and drumming can be managed together, I think there could be a whole new career ahead for those folks. Or, maybe join a circus....

Just got back from 4 amazing days on St George Island, FL where I took my nylon strung guitar and djembe and had some great jam sessions till about 3 in the morn. Also took my 7ft two string Yin Yang kite to fly on the beach. I love flying two string kites on the beach. It's like painting in the sky and the best thing, it fits in the car. I grew up sailing with my dad, just a small two-man sail boat. This is the next best thing but there's no need for a trailer behind the car...

I like also to attempt reggae beats on just a guitar playing basss and afterbeats and everything at the same time. Always a challenge but always interesting,(to me anyways).

Gordon.
By e2c
Besides playing music, music blogging, reading about music, listening to music...

house rabbits (see http://www.rabbit.org)
writing (my own stuff; haven't really done much of this for a while)
reading
photography (when I get the urge)
travel (when I can afford it!)
languages (though not formal study)
history
religion/religious studies

as a spectator: art, movies, dance, theater, equestrian sports, tennis

I used to be an ESL/EFL tutor and am hoping to get started at that again, in a couple of months - or else, to do something similar in the way of helping new immigrants get acclimated and find their way around.

My musical interests are pretty diverse and likely come from growing up in a household where one parent was regularly traveling to other countries and bringing back all kinds of things (books, art, music) from those places.

If I were more culinarily [is this a real word?] inclined, I'd probably be experimenting with cooking new dishes. As is, I enjoy eating - maybe a bit too much, in fact. ;)
By rachelnguyen
Hmmm... I do have a lot of other interests, come to think of it. (e2c kind of reminded me of some with her list.)

Travel is a big one. Last year I went to Vietnam and Mali. My husband is from Vietnam, so I was going to see his homeland for the first time. It was wonderful. And Mali. Well, if I could adopt it as my homeland, I would. I fell in love.

I am also a church geek, LOL. I am very involved with my parish. I am an Episcopalian (Anglican for all you European and African types) and run a monastic style prayer group at my church. (It's called Lectio Divina.)

I, too, have a house rabbit. And a dog. And two sons.

I like to cook, but not complicated fancy cooking. I am all about getting really delicious, simple food on the table with a minimum of hassle. One of my many part time jobs is as a cook for a disabled woman.. and I love it. Lately I have been working on my peanut sauce. Still never tastes as good as the sauce in Mali, though. Sigh.

I am an occasional blogger.

Love to rebuild drums.

Love to read.

Oh, and I love to dance almost as much as I love to play. I can go for hours.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 21 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable