[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Social Drumming - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 5 posts
By Carl
Where I live (Southern Maine) there are only a few djembe bands around. And each band is based about 1 hour from any other group! :-(

When Famoudou came through the area last month, some of us hooked up and exchanged emails. So we are going to try and organize some sort of get-together.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of event. My thoughts are as follow:

1) this is NOT a drum circle, these will be experienced players from various backgrounds and educations.

2) I'm wondering if I should limit the number of people and if so how many? right now I'm thinking of no more than 10 people

3) so far we have not agreed on any repertoire, we are just going to wing it. Is this a good idea?

Anyway, just looking to see if anyone else has done this and what experiences you had.

C
By Dugafola
wing it man.

no need to have a suggested list of music. i'm sure a lot of the ppl that'll come will know a bunch of different rhythms. it should be a free exchange of information and rhythms etc.

there's a couple big gatherings like that in california where we'll get people from all over the west coast and often times further all getting together to play music and dance.

10 ppl is good. have a bass djembe on hand too to round out the melody.

food afterwards is always good too.
By Carl
Dugafola wrote:have a bass djembe on hand too to round out the melody.
Oh yeah... that's a great idea.

I have an ashiko with a calf skin on it which should fit the bill. I have two djembe's that I'm planning to put clafskin on sometime this summer as well.

There is a tambin player who will be invited, and I have some other instruments that I am very bad at playing that will probably make it as well (bala, ngoni, cora) Exploration is good!

and food... My wife and I LOVE to cook, so there will be food!

C
By silviuj
i think that when people get together they should not start by posting what they have cause that only tightens up the mood, i think starting with a jam will be a good idea just to figure out what kind of people you are playing with and the with the " strict " stuff.I think first of all getting together is the most important thing, then having fun along each other and then professional stuff. But these are just my thoughts
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 5 posts