[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Drum and dance camps coming up - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 10 posts
By Jessie
Has anyone been to Camp Fareta? Is it worth the $$. Any other suggestions for drum immersion in the US. I want to get a chance to get my butt kicked and play with advanced students and African teachers,but I can't decide if its worth it to go to a camp here, or to just save my money for another trip to guinea or ivory coast next summer, although its so long from now. I'm going to take Famadou's workshop when he comes to the South East, but I'm looking for more.
By t******9
You might consider the Magbana Drum (the Wula folks) Retreat Sept. 18-20 north of NYC about 1.5 hours. They have elite Guinea dancers and drummers teaching on 3 levels including an advanced track, and there's some fine Caribbean dancers and congeros teaching as well.

Go to <magbana.com> for a description of the 2008 Retreat; click on the "Weekend Retreat" link on the bottom of the home page.

Good Luck.
By Dugafola
hey chx,

i went to camp fareta in 2007 for about 3-4 days towards the end of the camp. i don't dance at all but my wife does so it was pretty good setup for both of us to go and hang in the hills for a couple days.

here are the dancers and drummers that were there when we were there..
dancers: yousouff, moustapha bangoura, abdoulaye sylla, djenba sacko, babacar mbaye, mariama camara
drummers: m'bemba bangoura, mangue sylla, fode bangoura, male fainke, bolokada, wadaba
there was probably a few others but i'm spacing out for the moment.

good points: great setting. no distractions...all the drum and dance you can take in. the food was great. there was at least one african meal a day. all classes started on time. i think there were 3 dance and 2 drum classes a day. you can party as much and as hard as you wanted. pond for swimming with a beach area.

bad points: none.

as far as instruction goes, the best classes were served up by Fode, Bolokada and Wadaba...the rest of the guys taught some pretty watered down classes. these types of camps are not great for intensive drum work just because you'll end up taking class with some dancers who've never ever played any drum at any time in their life. :cry: if you can hang during a dance class though, that's where you'll get your schooling. the music for the dance classes was some of the best stuff i've heard. the best class for me was Moustapha's last class of the camp where he taught takosaba, bolokonondo, konkoba and yamama with Bolo and Wadaba playing lead and mangue, mbemba and i on duns. sickness. they're always looking for advanced drummers to rage accompaniement and play duns.

another bonus was that all the fotes got to play drums for the dancers after dinner. i'm not sure there was a lot of jamming at night this last year, but there was an endless stream of dancers wanting to solo and we all got to play for hours in 07. all the africans would be watching us have our own little dununba at camp. good times.

if you got the extra cash, i say go for it. you'll have fun and meet some great ppl from all over the world. it's also great because you get a lot of time with the africans...they can't go run and hide and talk on their cell phones at camp because there's no service. hhahaha.
By rachelnguyen
Incidentally, I just signed up for a weekend workshop with Wadaba here in Boston. I'll let you know how it goes. I am doing the Friday and Saturday only. I'm sorry to miss the Sunday, since it is for more intermediate to advanced players, but I can't make it.

My first time playing with a Guinean. I am psyched.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 10 posts