[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A complete novice's question. Wing things? - Djembefola - Djembe Forum

For chatting and discussions.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • 4 posts
By Nodrog
Hi there,

As you can tell from the subject of this question, I am a complete novice when it comes to the technical side of djembe drumming. I have seen several pics and have just finished wacthing a video of someone called Adame when half way through, he paused and unclipped these wing things from the side of his drum. I'm just curious as to the purpose of these and do they effect the sound at all?

Thanks, Gordon.
By bops
Heya Gordon,

Sounds like what you're describing are sese (aka sege sege, kessing kessing). Usually they are used by the soloist. They do affect the sound somewhat, adding a metallic rattling to the sound of the drum. They really help to accentuate the bass, which can otherwise get sort of muddled when you've got dununs and bells, accompaniment jembe, etc.

Was the drummer you saw Adama Drame? Do you have a link?
By Nodrog
Hey, thanks Bops,

I'm learning something new each day here. How do they make it more metallic and throw out the bass at the same time.

Yes, that's the guy and I found the video of him in the video section on this very forum. Something to do with "the third slap sound".

Thanks again, Gordon.
By Nodrog
Hi there,

My mistake, I just checked back and the guys name is Adama Diarra and the video clip can be found in the 'Technique' section under the heading 'Signature Slap'. The video is somewhere in that thread where he takes off the wings and then starts again. I thought they might get in the way a little.

Gordon.
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 4 posts