For chatting and discussions.
Heh, yeah sorry I missed this when it started, I got a bit busy, but I'm back, and can't wait to listen to those recordings and try to guess the woods!

Re sound file size limitations:
What do you think of uploading to another site, and linking? One option I've used for file sharing is Dropbox . It has more flexibility with privacy settings, so you can just share a single folder or file via an url or password.
I realize it means signing up, but better than bloating your existing accounts/channels on social media, IMO.
I may try to guess the approximate diameter as well as the wood
Might as well.

I don't think the recordings are too precise for id'ing the woods. Distorted and very reverby room. It hurts my ears listening on sennheiser hd25's. But interesting to hear your take on it Bata.
I just listened to the ten samples, and the only one that is clearly distinct to my ear is #9. I must have no talent for this at all, because all I could offer is guesses.

If bdb (or anyone else for that matter) can tell the type of wood from those sound samples I'll be impressed. Here's hoping someone impresses me.
Hey guys, feel free to add some better sound samples of your djembes!
It was a bit of work to do, I wouldn't like to repeat the process. Especially since I still don't know if my leg was just pulled:
batadunbata wrote: I may try to guess the approximate diameter as well as the wood
But don't worry, there is no low or high density lenke involved, cow-skin is neither.
batadunbata wrote: I may try to guess the approximate diameter as well as the wood
Wow! You might as well tell us the slope of the bowl, diameter of the sound hole and length of the trumpet. Oh, and don't forget the thickness and color of the rope while you're at it.

I suppose that with a lot of practice, a rare someone might develop some skill in such a challenge, but I would really expect any success would require live samples. Too much is lost in a recording.

Now that I think of it, with some good, sophisticated equipment one might learn to recognize the spectrogram created by various wood types. Is that what you're up to bdb?
Even listening live, I don't think I could pick a wood in a blind test. There are way too many other variables. Shape and size of the drum and, most importantly, the individual skin.

I have a few outstanding shells that I know can sound truly first-rate. And, every now and then, I put a new skin on one of them, and that same drum sounds completely different. Moreover, every now and then, it sounds not a lot better than a Remo.

The skin is most of the sound of a drum. True, with a bad shell, no matter what skin I put on it, it'll never sound good. But a good shell is nowhere near a guarantee for good sound. The good sound comes from the skin, assuming that the shell is good. If the skin is bad, no amount of good shell can save the sound.

Given all this, the species of wood is approximately a fifth-order issue, in my opinion.

Michi.
michi wrote:Given all this, the species of wood is approximately a fifth-order issue, in my opinion.
I do completely agree with you.

I want to tie up some loose ends, too much stuff on my mind lately. So, seems like my work I put in this thread was in vain. Before the riddle runs dry I solve it. Even though the quality of the audio files is not the best, I think you can clearly hear that all those djembes sound very different, i.e. expose different sound qualities. Yet, the first 7 djembes are all lenke, #8 is balafon wood, #9 is dialla, and #10 I don't exactly know. That was a djembe I did repair and cannot tell the wood.

The enormous variance in the sound qualities of the first 7 djembe, all lenke, is proof in my eyes that you cannot - or at least very limitedly - tell wood from sound.
Cheers for compiling the challenge anyways. It was good crack. Shame nobody took a guess at the woods. I wanted someone to get some right although i found it a bit unlikely to get all. I've some new speakers set up and the recordings do sound better. The distortion and reflection of the room was maybe highlighted by those head phones.

Any ways, it is nice playing and good to hear . I was thinking lenge would have been a good guess for most of them, working on the law of averages and thinking most of your drums may be lenge. I expected a bit more variation in wood selection after listening. Was wrong there.

It is hard to describe sound in terms others can relate to, so i think any discussion on that subject can bring new awareness. I used to think i could distinguish the woods when i was skinning a lot of djembes. I do think there is some sound characteristics that we can associate with different woods. In a blind test it is a different kettle of fish anyways.

How to describe a djembes actual sound may always illude us. And Plop is the worst description i've heard yet . But nice plopping anyways.
the kid wrote:It is hard to describe sound in terms others can relate to, so i think any discussion on that subject can bring new awareness.
I think this reflects that we are mostly focused on our vision. If we would be blind, I think we would have a much larger range of words for sounds.
the kid wrote:And Plop is the worst description i've heard yet .
That may be due to language differences. For my students, the desription works well. It resonates with the wanted soundeffect. Lots of people do not really play open tones, but muffle them somehow. That way it is much easier to highlight a difference in tone and slap, but at the price of muffled tones. "Plop" tries to mimic the openess of the tone together with the kind of explosive sound quality in the beginning. It is hard to make students aware of that. Most say they cannot hear the difference in the sounds when they play some and I say "yes, good!" or "nay, not so much". A likely moment of frustration. Hearing has to be learned, too, but almost everybody thinks it is just the drumming that has to be learned.
drtom wrote:Excuse me, but I did take a crack at it and . . . I was right! :dance2: I was right! :dance:
Did you get them all right? ...Ah You must have a used your stethoscope. Thats cheating... :p
the kid wrote:Did you get them all right?
Not exactly, but please note that I did point out that
drtom wrote:the only one that is clearly distinct to my ear is #9.
and according DF #9 is the only one of the ten that is dialla.

So . . . I was right! :D I was right! :dundun: I was right! :dance2: I was right! :dance: