Stains on skin

Advice and questions on keeping your instruments in top form

Stains on skin

Postby Petra » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 am

I have got a second hand djembe. But there are stains on the skin, So it looks dirty and not very nice. Is there a way to get rid of it?
Petra

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Stains on skin

Postby michi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, Petra!

Usually, I don't bother trying to clean the skin. It's normal for the skin to discolour where your hands contact it. It's loads of dead skin cells that shed from your hands and end up getting pounded into the drum head. If you feel you must clean it, don't use water. Instead, try wiping it down with some methylated spirits (denatured alcohol).

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby Petra » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Petra

Postby the kid » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 pm

If it is grit and oil and dead skin(resembles wax) i'd scrape it with something like a credit card. Usually get most off. Can scrub with a slightly damp towel once most dirt off. If any dampness remains dry with dry towel and leave drum sideways in dry warm place to dry.

better to clean it imo as if you leave the drum for a long time not played mold can grow on the dirt and oils from the hands that played the drum. Plus if you have any hand cuts the dirt can get in.

If something has absorbed into the skin it can't be cleaned.

Depending on the tightness, wetting a skin can break it so be careful with any water around while cleaning.
the kid
Djembefola

Postby boromir76 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am

If this are only dried out hand residuals from playing (skin cells & grease), you can rub it off with slightly wet and than dry cloth. Sometimes rough dry cloth alone will do the job. If both does not help, very fine (1000 grain) sand paper could also help. Note: The sand paper procedure is suitable only for dirt and stains which are applied on and are on the skin but not impregnated deep into the skin. Skin can be damaged with excessive sanding.
boromir76
1 ksing ksing

Postby drtom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am

Petra wrote:I have got a second hand djembe. But there are stains on the skin, So it looks dirty and not very nice. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Are you sure it's not just pigmentation? Skin does not necessarily look like a nice, clean canvass, though it might.

Pictures might help.
drtom
3 ksing ksing

Return to Tuning & care