thats it
lord creator
Djabarafola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: need to buy djembe around 8-900 to spend

Postby Dugafola » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 pm

the kid wrote:The Mali drums were probably rootsyMAli,

http://www.youtube.com/user/rootsymali/videos

He used to sell Jina djembes which were really round bowls. Unique looking.

Awesome djembe videos too

I posted a photo of my hare jina in the show your axe thread.
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby batadunbata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

lord creator wrote:...I do not know how they differ as to sound. How does that work? what do the different woods, in general, sound like.

I'll post an article about this subject shortly. It's contentious, so I can only share what I've noticed. Generally speaking they all sound great, but each have their own advantages and weaknesses. But there are also exceptions, like light yellow Lenke doesn't sound the same as darker Lenke (orange, red, purple), etc. This is due to variations in density and presence of chemicals which change the hardness and resonance response of the wood. These variations can be caused by placement in the tree (lower is denser due to weight pressure) or age (older is denser) or nutrients in the soil, water availability to the tree etc.

Dugafola wrote:nice writeup.

also kazdrums and onetreedrums are worth checking into.

Seconded (nice writeup by Worchester Drums).

Couldnt find a website for Onetreedrums though, just Facebook.
NHO Kazdrums, will check em out.

Nice find Boromir, Djembe-webshop drums look good for the price. Return shipping would be prohibitive. I'd ask them to play it over the phone and send interior stem pics. (I'd ask that of US shops too, but worth mentioning if anyone considers UK purchases especially)

Another one in a similar pricerange ($400-500) is HawkDancing.
Sort of generic looking drums, like the Kangaba/Overseas Connection stuff, but if you get a good one, it can be good for the price.
Last edited by batadunbata on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
batadunbata
1 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 pm

www.onetreedrums.com

also check out wassoulou percussions (Michael Tivier on FB).
Dugafola
Djembefola

Postby korman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Well, if you've got that much to spend, why not take a look at AWA djembes by Jeremy Tomasck, he's a TTM Certified Professor and supplies instruments to Mamady Keita!
Jeremy's based in Belgium, but there's somebody selling his drums in the US as well.
https://www.djembe-awa.com/
korman
1 ksing ksing

Postby batadunbata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm

(BTW: I got a malicious site warning at onetreedrums.com - not sure if it was a false alarm but I never proceed to find out. If I knew them I'd contact them about it.)

I just discovered these two stores which are also worth mentioning since we're listing all the decent sources we know of:

-drumconnection.com (USA, look good for the price, mostly $500-600 but one is $750)

and

-alpharhythmroots.com (in Canada, all $760CAD) [mostly Lenke - I'm not sure if "African Mahogany" refers to Djalla or Acajou, which are similar but not the same subspecies]

Another thing to check is shipping costs. The practices vary from free, to low cost shipping, to full cost shipping which often runs over $100 even if it's not too far away, so factor that in too.
Also check the return period, (is it 7 days, 2 weeks, 30 days?), and whether there's restocking fees or no hassle returns, and what the terms are.
None pay return shipping, but that goes without saying I think, unless it's defective or not as advertised. I'll never pay return shipping on an item that's not as described. Full refund period.
But check the fine print before buying.
batadunbata
1 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

@lord...if djalla is really what you're after, i saw an amazing piece at Drumskull the other night after a class. it's all heartwood with no decorative carving at all. size was probably around 13.5". it already had a skin mounted but not pulled, shaved or tuned. it could be yours!!!
Dugafola
Djembefola

Postby batadunbata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Generally, Djalla is great for having articulate tones. Rings clearly like a bell. Less warm than Lenke, less bright than Hare. Less dense than Lenke, so sounds better on smaller diameter djembes imo.

Another source of what look to be good quality djembes is djembe-art.de
They have different pricing/quality tiers, and recordings of some of the drums.
One warning though is they seem confused about one of the species.
They call it Palisander, Rosewood, Ghenou and Gbeng, and mistakenly identify it as Dalberiga species.
First of all, no african djembes I've ever seen are made of Palisander/Rosewood/Dalbergia. Period.
Ghenou is a synonym for Hare/Khadi/Balafon wood, which is Pterocarpus, not Dalbergia.
That's what they look like, so I'm thinking that's probably what they are.
Secondly, Beng is a synonym for Dugura/Dimba, not Ghenou.
Not a real issue, the drums look great, but worth mentioning in case of confusion. It's easy to get mixed up, so I wouldn't take it as a sign of their competance.
Last edited by batadunbata on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
batadunbata
1 ksing ksing

Postby lord creator » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:31 am

Based on looks I like Cassia and Djalla the best. But I have two gon bop congas and no djembe, i wanted to splurge and get a really cool one, but I dont know much about the sound thing. Will probably go with the Cassia, that one looks sweet.
lord creator
Djabarafola

Postby batadunbata » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 am

Lord Creator:
Did you end up getting the Cassia from Wooden Roots?

Everyone:
I need to post a correction. I made the erroneous assertion that Cassia is a particularly hard wood, which is actually the opposite of the truth. I had it confused with another species with a similar name. I'm sorry for posting misinfo before double checking my facts.
It sounds great though, whatever the density, going by the recordings I've heard. A bit like Djalla, it has the ability to "sing" in a sweet voice.
batadunbata
1 ksing ksing

Postby lord creator » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Have not purchased anything yet, But Marcus over at wooden Roots, is really cool. I think I will eventually go with a cassia or djalla from him.
lord creator
Djabarafola

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 am

I have a lenke shell from djembe-webshop in berlin in the post. I'll let you know how I get on. I've been playing gueni and bala drums for ages, and have found lenke drums a bit light sounding before, so fingers crossed.

I have a friend who ordered a drum from wassalou, nice drum but it was poorly packed and badly damaged in transit.

While I havent played any of the US based drum company drums the standard pricing is much lower Europe. For 400euro I expect top of the line here.
Paul
Djembefola

Previous

Return to Social