lol you're all crazy !!!!

Yes. And your point is...?

Michi ;-)
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Re: the djembe taught me...

Postby michel weelen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Adam wrote:
- three djembes, 2 shoulder straps, 2 waist straps, 1 pulling tool, 2 bags, and a hardcase on order,

8) 8) 8)
michel weelen
Kenkenifola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jonobooth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Seeing as how everyone is talking about what the djembe has taught them musically, I thought I'd share how it has helped me spiritually.

From the djembe, I have learned to direct all my intentions and actions towards the earth and it's well being. The same way as my hands are directed downwards towards the earth when I play my djembe.

I have learned that life is like a polyrhythm. We weave in and out of time with the song as our lives weave in and out of time with the universe. The djembe has taught me to accept the times in life when Im on the off beat because the next down beat is coming soon.

And most importantly I have learned that a djembe is not a table. Never put anything on it, it has more souls than a human being. The souls of the tree from which it was carved, the animal from where the hyde came and the soul of the artist who carved it.

Love your djembe as it loves you.

Peace!
jonobooth

Postby dununbabe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

...that if you choose a job you love, you never have to "work".
dununbabe
1 ksing ksing

Postby atam » Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 am

... that my ego is much stronger than I ever thought (and that´s why many choose djembe)

... that ego itself is not bad, if we let it shine, but not rule

... that patience and humility are vital (exactly as e2c wrote), but also courage and trust in others

... that less is usually more

... that closer to the earth, the better

... that we don´t need electricity to enjoy life

... that by teaching you learn even more than by studying

... that all the enjoyable things in life have a common root

... that I can share myself even with such nice people like you who wrote in this topic
atam
1 ksing ksing

Postby Antoino Parker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 am

hello the djembe has taught and is still teaching me all the things that i lost between childhood a stint in the marines and one loveless marriage. the djembe is teaching me with each note that the ways of old will be pasted on untill the end of time. it has become my my teacher and friend. :D :)
Antoino Parker
Djabarafola

Postby e2c » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:40 am

Antoino Parker wrote:hello the djembe has taught and is still teaching me all the things that i lost between childhood a stint in the marines and one loveless marriage. the djembe is teaching me with each note that the ways of old will be pasted on untill the end of time. it has become my my teacher and friend. :D :)

Hey, Antoino! Great to have you here. :)

Just curious - how long have you been playing?

I love what you said here:

the djembe is teaching me with each note that the ways of old will be pasted on untill the end of time.
e2c
Djembefola

Postby Mikeleza » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:38 pm

...apart from all the other great comments above that I also relate to...

Djembe (and singing) taught me how to learn.

Before I learnt djembe, I had been living my life on an almost purely instinctual level without really understanding anything. I didn't realise that anything was possible if you just applied yourself to learning it and that in fact, the process of learning/understanding feels REALLY GOOD.

If I had started djembe at an earlier age I think I would have got much better grades at school. lol
Mikeleza
2 ksing ksing

Postby davidognomo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:51 am

that I have a whole life ahead of me to deepen the knowledge about it.

It's a choice of life. If you want to really know that thing between your legs, you will have to give yourself to it. As any other thing in life.

Playing the djembe and learning it is giving me back the joy, enthusiasm I had a few years ago, in college, playing with friends all night in a spot at one of the university's buildings, with a galvanizing acoustic.

10 years passed, working in theatre, an almost three year old daughter, I find myself completely obsessed with it, and having to look for it, buying it, starting to search for the slap, spending hours at the web searching and searching, starting classes now.

After some great reviews in national newspapers on my work as a theatre actor, I find myself at an ego dead end. It seems not to make the sense it made when I had everything to prove - and I still do...

So, working on a show where shakespeare and mandeng will be united. Crazy? Definetly.
Last edited by davidognomo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidognomo
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby atam » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 am

Hey David - thanx for your nice ideas and confessions! I keep my fingers crossed for you, and I am sure even Shekespeare would support your efforts !

Anyway, after reading your entry, I realized one REALLY difficult thing that djembe is teaching me (and for sure not only me) all the time: how to divide myself between my passion (the djembe) and the ones who love and need me.
atam
1 ksing ksing

Postby EvanP » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 am

...that I am obsessive, compulsive, and addictive all rolled into one AND that drums and equipment multiply!
- three djembes, 2 shoulder straps, 2 waist straps, 1 pulling tool, 2 bags, and a hardcase on order,

So Michi, where are you getting your hard case from? :rofl:
EvanP
3 ksing ksing

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby michi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 am

EvanP wrote:So Michi, where are you getting your hard case from? :rofl:

Don't have one yet. Yes, I know, serious lapse on my part… ;)

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby atam » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 am

EvanP wrote:...that I am obsessive, compulsive, and addictive all rolled into one AND that drums and equipment multiply!

It is interesting - I also have this obsessive symptoms :doh:

But with my 6 djembes (only 4 with skin-on), bougarabou, dundun set and plenty of accessories, I really dont see your situation too serious yet ;) What´s worst, the most difficult thing seems to be to sell a drum of mine, even if I dont play on it ! :?
atam
1 ksing ksing

Postby bubudi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:52 am

we had a discussion about djembe addiction/obsession. you may be surprised!
bubudi

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby atam » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 am

bubudi wrote:we had a discussion about djembe addiction/obsession. you may be surprised!

Yes, I am aware of that ONE ! Sorry, I could not resist to mention it here, for this addiction is also a thing djembe taught me... (or just revealed about me :roll: )
atam
1 ksing ksing

PreviousNext

Return to Music and drumming