How many Albums - top 5

Discuss traditional rhythms, singing etc

How many Albums - top 5

Postby Djembe-nerd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:43 am

My collection is approaching 50 now, and many of you will have many more. So lets see what the collection really should be ;-) and what are the top 5 djembe masters and their best one
Here is mine:

Collection : 50 albums
Top 5 :
Lart de djembe, Soungalu C
Percussion Et chant Malinke, Famoudou K
Nankama : Mamady K
Percussion Mandingue 2 ; Adama D
Fakoly : Fode Bangoura
(There are several more at the 5th place, but I write only 5 per rule)
If you want to see me kick some butt, just tell me about all the things you think I won't be able to do
Djembe-nerd
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How many Albums - top 5

Postby bubudi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:08 am

already done. see this thread

cd recommendations
bubudi
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Djembe-nerd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Well not quite, here we might see what is the preference of all contributers when it comes to choose the top 5, and we will know how many we are missing in our collection ;-) top 5 from any contributer needs to be in the collection.
If you want to see me kick some butt, just tell me about all the things you think I won't be able to do
Djembe-nerd
Djembefola

Postby EvanP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:41 pm

How can I get a copy of L'art de Djembe? There don't seem to be any around even in my usual used and rare music purveyors.
EvanP
3 ksing ksing

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dugafola » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:17 pm

evanepatton wrote:How can I get a copy of L'art de Djembe? There don't seem to be any around even in my usual used and rare music purveyors.

you may be able to piece it together through download: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ly&x=0&y=0
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby michi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Djembe-nerd wrote:My collection is approaching 50 now, and many of you will have many more. So lets see what the collection really should be ;-) and what are the top 5 djembe masters and their best one

Not counting instructional stuff, my collection is standing at 116 CDs right now. My favourites:
  • Famoudou Konaté, "Rhythmen Der Malinke"
  • Baba Touré, "Daakan"
  • Fodé Seydou Bangoura, "Fakoly 1"
  • Mamady Keïta, "Mögöbalu"
  • Aruna Sidibe And Brulye Doumbia, "Mali Drums: Old Masters"
Michi.
Last edited by michi on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby bubudi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm

evan, do you live near portland? rhythm traders have it, as well as soungalo's live cd and dvd.
bubudi
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Dugafola » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:57 pm

here's mine for today:

Famoudou Konate - rhythm der malinke. i particularly like the solis, bundiani and of course the dununba rhythms.

Mamady Keita - Mogobalu. all the masters take part in this one: fadouba, famoudou, daouda, sekou konate, bakahly camara, mamady mansare etc etc. kawa and soko are great with fadouba...these were the first widely circulated recordings of Fadouba playing djembe. MK really gets out there on the Maraka. the soli des manian and ngoron are hot too.

Mansa Camio et Sofoli - An bada Sofoli. the dunun playing on this album is what kills it for me. traditional roots dununba playing from heart of dununba country. this recording probably has the most depth for dununba rhythms than any other out there.

Rainer Polack's stuff - Mali Tradition 1/2, Bamako Foli, Donkili. Old school Mali duet and ensemble playing at it's finest

Fode Seydou Bangoura - Fakoly. super melodic album overall with crazy chops and clean sound. great vox and bala playing.

if i answer this tomorrow, you may get 5 totally different albums.
Dugafola
Djembefola

Postby EvanP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Bubudi,
I'm in Portland and Rhthym Traders is my new weekend hangout. I've been there every Saturday and Sunday for the past month for lessons with Clifford Kouffman and Caton, usually dropping signifant coin on CDs, DVDs, and Books feeding my new-found hunger for djembe stuff. I bought the Soungalo live CD there, but the D'Art CD is out of print and they don't have a copy.

Any other suggestions? I've tried Everyday Music, Ebay, Amazon, Librio, and Google with no success. I've found a few foreign sites that offer MP3 downloads, but I'm a bit wary of them.

By the way my top 4 favorites at the moment are Mamady's Afo, Soungaly's Live album, Adama Drame' Percussions Mandigues, and Yoruba Drums from Benin, West Africa.
EvanP
3 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:46 pm

evanepatton wrote:Bubudi,
I'm in Portland and Rhthym Traders is my new weekend hangout. I've been there every Saturday and Sunday for the past month for lessons with Clifford Kouffman and Caton, usually dropping signifant coin on CDs, DVDs, and Books feeding my new-found hunger for djembe stuff. I bought the Soungalo live CD there, but the D'Art CD is out of print and they don't have a copy.

Any other suggestions? I've tried Everyday Music, Ebay, Amazon, Librio, and Google with no success. I've found a few foreign sites that offer MP3 downloads, but I'm a bit wary of them.

By the way my top 4 favorites at the moment are Mamady's Afo, Soungaly's Live album, Adama Drame' Percussions Mandigues, and Yoruba Drums from Benin, West Africa.

you should check out Derrell Sekou Soumah Walker for some lessons too...
Dugafola
Djembefola

Postby EvanP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Dugafola,
Thanks for the tip. I'm new to drumming and the djembe, so I'm drinking from a firehose at this point. (And having a ball!)

Is Derrell the guy in Portland that has the TTM certificate?

Evan
EvanP
3 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:02 am

evanepatton wrote:Dugafola,
Thanks for the tip. I'm new to drumming and the djembe, so I'm drinking from a firehose at this point. (And having a ball!)

Is Derrell the guy in Portland that has the TTM certificate?

Evan

indeed. he's a good buddy of mine. and he's got the diploma and certificate. not sure if he's teaching drums at this point. i know his dance class is going strong.

PM me your email and i'll make sure he gets it to add it to his update list.
Dugafola
Djembefola

Postby bops » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 pm

evanepatton wrote:Any other suggestions? I've tried Everyday Music, Ebay, Amazon, Librio, and Google with no success. I've found a few foreign sites that offer MP3 downloads, but I'm a bit wary of them.

Hey man. I've gotten a lot of good stuff from Mondomix and emusic.
"If you knock long enough, eventually the door will open."
Tasumakan - Djembe and Dunun Video Lessons
bops
Djembefola

Postby Mikeleza » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:17 am

Dugafola wrote:Mansa Camio et Sofoli - An bada Sofoli. the dunun playing on this album is what kills it for me. traditional roots dununba playing from heart of dununba country. this recording probably has the most depth for dununba rhythms than any other out there.

Thanks for that Dugafola.... This sounds great... Can't wait till it arrives from Amazon!
Mikeleza
2 ksing ksing

Return to Music and drumming