Djembefola app

CDs, books and DVDs

Djembefola app

Postby michi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm

I have no first-hand experience with this, only watched the demo. But it looks like it could be a useful tool if you are new to playing:

http://ttmda.com/djembefola

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Re: Djembefola app

Postby Dugafola » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

MK always on top of the marketing game!
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby the kid » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Although he wasn't the first in this case as Monette Marino had the mo'rhythm app out first.

I see these developments as good for people learning and for play along tracks. Changing the speed and muting parts is pretty cool and useful.

As is having all the tracks and parts on your phone or ipad.

I wonder is it cheaper than Michi's ibook
the kid
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby korman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am

the kid wrote:I wonder is it cheaper than Michi's ibook

You can download the app and see all notations for free! (that's what I've done) and a few rhythms have playback enabled, as a demo. If you want playback for other rhythms, you must pay:
Beginner pack (levels 1-3) - 6.99EUR - so it is cheaper than the TTMDA curriculum book
Intermediate pack (levels 4-6) - 12.99EUR
Dununba rhythm pack (15 dununba rhythms) - 6.99EUR

However, as with Mamady's books you only get the basic groove. There are other books with fewer rhythms, but with better information on how music actually works (like Mansa Camio/NielsFleurke or Ibro Konate/Sylvia Franke books).
korman
1 ksing ksing

Postby michi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 am

Not sure how that relates to the topic.

Are you suggesting my book is too expensive?

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Postby korman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Also, it's a pity that Djembe Notes app disappeared, and that Percussion Studio has not been updated to newer platforms! App with preset, unchangeable rhythms is much less useful for me.
korman
1 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:42 pm

michi wrote:

Not sure how that relates to the topic.

Are you suggesting my book is too expensive?

Cheers,

Michi.

michi's book is an incredible resource for anyone wanting to learn how to skin drums. in my 14 years of playing and owning many drums with many different skins, i've only had someone else skin a drum for me 2x and that's because i bought them with skins. i had learned alot through trial and error over the years and was set in my ways. but when michi's book came a long, i definitely learned a few new tricks and other ways to streamline the process a bit.

i encourage anyone who doesn't already skin their own instruments to give it a try. you'll be 100% responsible for how it sounds. Michi's book is a great starting point.

but the comparison is apples and oranges though. you can't compare and E-book for djembe construction to a i-phablet application to learn rhythms...IMO anyway.

i agree with korman though. MK's stuff is very watered down.
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby the kid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Yea sorry Michi, having a dig about the price but it sounds a good book considering Duga vouches for it. I'm sure there is quality info in there well presented. Was just thinking of it lately and seen the price and was like it's a bit much considering there is no major publishing costs. I mean i know hours of your time is worth a lot but there is a labor of love which can be shared as well.

Only comparing to the app as i reckoned a bit more work goes into an app and to me, it is more reasonable priced aiming at a larger audience. Different forms of media for sure. I guess there are many options when selling to get the optimum price where units shifted makes enough to make the venture worthwhile.

Not relevant to this thread though. Really just threw it in there to see what people had to say about it.
the kid
Djembefola

Postby michi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 am

Was just thinking of it lately and seen the price and was like it's a bit much considering there is no major publishing costs. I mean i know hours of your time is worth a lot but there is a labor of love which can be shared as well.

Hmmm… The cost of getting a drum re-skinned is around $130-$150. The book costs $24.99. If you buy the book plus a skin, that will set you back something like $60. So, if you learn how to re-skin from the book and do it only once, you still come out ahead $70-$90.

I estimate that I spent 350-400 hours to create the book. (Oh, yes, plus the ten years of acquiring enough skills to be able to write the book in the first place.) So, far, I haven't even made minimum wage per hour of time spent. If that's not enough of a labor of love, I apologise.

Michi.
michi

Postby djembefeeling » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 am

michi wrote: If that's not enough of a labor of love, I apologise.

No way, please don't, even though you don't really do here. There shouldn't be any discussion about this. Giving your book away for cheap does send the wrong signal. Many people think it's not worth much, then. That's the reason why I did stop giving trial lessons for free. My experience is that it attracts the wrong kind of people. When they pay for the lesson, they usually do think it's worth more. They are even more grateful. $24.99 is just what you can expect for a manual on the book market. I think you did show in countless help-advice posts on this forum that you do these things just out of love for the music and culture.

I did talk to Marteen Schepers once, who wrote the book Rythmes de Guinée : Dunumbas, solos djembé et batterie. He told me that you can never expect to get the work paid that you put into a book on this exotic topic. He knew that beforehand. But considering the work done (especially those countless hours of editing) and the attention his book got, he would not do it again. So people, lets charish those who do this gruesome work and get special knowledge out for everyone!
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby the kid » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 am

I was wrong,

It is a fair price. I would have loved to have such a resource when i started skinning drums. Not ruining one skin would have paid for the book. So i guess this book is a win win.

People who do put in this effort in a niche should be commended. So thanks for your contribution Michi.
the kid
Djembefola

Postby djembefeeling » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:25 am

the kid wrote:I was wrong

mmh! welcome back to common sense. you are rehabilitated :giggle:
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby michi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 am

djembefeeling wrote:I did talk to Marteen Schepers once, who wrote the book Rythmes de Guinée : Dunumbas, solos djembé et batterie.

I bought a copy of it when it first came out. It's a great book!

djembefeeling wrote:He told me that you can never expect to get the work paid that you put into a book on this exotic topic. He knew that beforehand.

Same here. When I started writing (this was my third book), I knew that there was zero chance of ever getting anything like a reasonably hourly rate in return. The topic is far too narrow for that to happen. And I didn't mind. I wrote the book because I wanted to, not to pay any bills. Still, that doesn't mean that I have to give it away for free. For people who are genuinely interested in the topic, it's well worth the asking price. (Pretty much everyone who ever bought a copy is very happy with the quality and usefulness; I've received a ton of complimentary feedback.)

the kid wrote:I was wrong

No problem. Unless you have written a book and taken it all the way through the publishing process, you will have no idea how much work is involved. It's insane, basically, at least if you want to create something professional.

Anyway, back to the topic, which was the Djembefola app, if I remember correctly ;)

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Postby korman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 am

djembefeeling wrote:I did talk to Marteen Schepers once, who wrote the book Rythmes de Guinée : Dunumbas, solos djembé et batterie. He told me that you can never expect to get the work paid that you put into a book on this exotic topic. He knew that beforehand. But considering the work done (especially those countless hours of editing) and the attention his book got, he would not do it again. So people, lets charish those who do this gruesome work and get special knowledge out for everyone!

Just curious, did his book get too little attention, or did it get bad attention?

I never really considered that book, because I don't play the drumset ..
korman
1 ksing ksing

Postby michi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 am

The drum kit bits weren't of interest to me because I'm not into that style of drumming. But the djembe bits definitely are good and I learned something from the examples in the book. It was one of the very few resources that were available back when the book first came out in 2007.

Michi.
michi

Return to Media