I enter Djembefola.com with head bowed and eyes averted

Tell us a bit about yourself. What you're into and what dreams are etc...

I enter Djembefola.com with head bowed and eyes averted

Postby PBS » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi all from Suffolk, UK

I am a very recent convert to djembe (two months). My wife will tell you that for the last 20 years I have tapped out rhythms on tabletops, cushions, body parts etc for most of my life but until now never thought of actually playing a hand drum (am I thick or what!). I did try out playing a doumbek after a holiday in Egypt, but found the sound was too high pitched for my natural bass orientated ears. The positive side though was after searching Youtube for doumbek clips I came across some djembe clips and instantly realised that here was the instrument for me.

I initially purchased a couple of (very) cheap 2nd hand djembes off Ebay, which, although of poor quality confirmed my suspicion that I was heading in the right direction. My next, and best move, was to find this forum, which set me up perfectly when looking for the real deal. I finally plumped for a djembe from Baragnouma.com (pic on page 34 of "Show off your axe").

And now, oh boy, has my life changed. I eat, breathe and sleep djembe. I work at a school, and every lunch period, rather than wasting time eating, I hide away in one of the music department's practice rooms giving it my all (all of which is resulting in a great deal of pleasure and weight loss - a win win situation however you look at it!).

And for the future, to find a local quality teacher and perhaps at some time a visit to West Africa. I am 56 years old and haven't been this excited about life for over 25 years.

Looking forward to a long and pleasurable journey with both my drum and this forum. Keep up the great work.

Peter
PBS
Djabarafola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I enter Djembefola.com with head bowed and eyes averted

Postby djembeweaver » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm

What a great story! The djembe will give you as much as you put into it so go for it. You're lucky to be able to play every day at work too.
djembeweaver
3 ksing ksing

Postby rachelnguyen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Yay, Peter!!!!

I love your sweet story, too. And can tell you for sure that once bitten, it all just keeps getting better and better.

Yes, go to Africa.

Yes, realize that you are just beginning a transformation that will impact you more than you can ever know. My life today is so filled with rich experiences, friends I have loved (and lost), people I consider family in a place I had never been before (Mali), and a self image that now includes 'musician' along with mom, wife, director of a non-profit and Christian.

Welcome to Djembefola. Hold your head high, look us in the eyes and smile, my friend. We are right there with you.

Rachel
rachelnguyen

Postby michi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Peter,

sounds like you may have found your truth… Play, enjoy, and travel the path. The djembe can be life-changing for some people. It was for me.

Good luck, and let us know how you are travelling!

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby Trog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:21 am

Welcome to the journey and with that Baragnouma djembe the path will sound much sweeter.
Trog
1 ksing ksing

Postby PBS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks for the welcome all.

I feel as though I have found my second home!
PBS
Djabarafola

Postby rachelnguyen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Michi,

This is the first time I have read your story and I have to tell you, it is a beauty. I think it is fascinating that the drum presented itself to many of us as part of a bigger shift in our lives. In my case, my introduction to the drum was sort of bass akwards. I had spent my entire adult life deep in the heart of new age spirituality but it wasn't until 3 years after my baptism as a Christian that I found the drum. It has been a constant companion ever since. I think that the drum has had a huge impact on my life, overall. It has opened doors that I could never have imagined when I walked into my first drumming class.
rachelnguyen

Postby EvanP » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 am

PBS,
Welcome!

Michi,
I echo Rachel's comments--somehow I'd missed your blog postings. An inspirational story (and one that I can relate to).

Evan
EvanP
3 ksing ksing

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

Michi,

I missed that too.. Good story telling, very inspirational. Finding it hard to get much playing in with all this study so nice to think I may be redeemed in the future.
Paul
Djembefola

Postby michi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks for the kind words folks! :)

I suspect that there are thousands of stories like this out there. It's just that most people don't bother to write them down…

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Return to Introductions