strange circular repair on brand new djembe

Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments

strange circular repair on brand new djembe

Postby fiahbun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 am

Hi everyone,
Got my first djembe 2 months ago, it´s a "toca", from indonesia i believe. was overall very happy with the drum (for all i know..) until yesterday, when to my horror (exaggerating a bit, but not much) i realized there´s a strange almost prefectly circular crack in the shell, circa 8cm in diameter. the drum is painted black, but i think i see a difference in grain between what´s inside the circle and the rest of the shell. i´m guessing it´s a fix of some sort. i bought the djembe brand new, so i was not expecting anything like this, i only realized this yesterday after 2 months of playing, probably because it started cracking recently i guess. has anyone seen something like this before? i´m thinking of going back to the shop and asking for a new one. what do you people think? i´ll attach a picture.
any feedback is highly appreciated. :rasta:
fiahbun
Djabarafola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: strange circular repair on brand new djembe

Postby michi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am

Your attachments aren't showing up. Can you try again?

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby fiahbun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Michi,
Thanks for the interest,
i´ll try again, these are the url to the 2 pics (one of the pics is brighter cause i used flash). i don´t have much experience with forums so not sure if this is how i´m supposed to share the images, sorry about that..
http://imgur.com/a/P6K24
http://imgur.com/a/laZaB
fiahbun
Djabarafola

Postby djembefeeling » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 am

It's definitely a good idea to go back to the shop to ask for a new one! I would be very suspicious of any painted djembe. You never can tell the quality of wood in detail with those.
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby michi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am

It definitely looks like a section of the wood was replaced there. I suspect there may have been a knot in the original wood that came loose and left a hole, and then someone fitted a patch.

If the patch is coming loose, I'd take the drum back and complain. Or you could just run a bead of two-pack epoxy around the join on the inside; it would probably last near enough forever.

Michi.
michi

Postby djembefeeling » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 am

Oh, I didn't see you did upload the pics before I answered. It doesn't look like a serious flaw to me. I guess this djembe wasn't expensive, was it?

Michi, why would you say that this section looks like as if the wood was replaced? To me it looks like a capillary crack. I cannot see a difference in the consistency of material around this area, not even where there is no paint as in the carved wood section before or after the crack(?). If it would be a fitted patch, shouldn't the half circular crack be completely circular?
Last edited by djembefeeling on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby michi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:37 am

To me, it looks like a circular section was cut out of the shell and replaced with another piece of wood. The grain inside the circle isn't the same as on the outside.

Michi.
michi

Postby fiahbun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi Guys,
thanks a lot for your opinions.
@djembefeeling: the carvings are also painted (with gold-like paint) the pics aren´t great i know..
it wasn´t expensive no, but not too cheap either, i think somewhere between 150-200 euro (not sure exactly cause it was a gift)
I think Michi is right, the grain is slightly different.
Think i´ll go to the shop and see if i can exchange it with a model that is not painted..that´s a good tip you gave me.
the patch is not coming loose, but i´d rather not have that patch there..if possible.
the shop it was bought in will probably not have any djembes at the store, so the shopkeeper, if he agrees to exchange it, will have to order one, so i´ll have to keep my fingers crossed hoping i get a good one.
fiahbun
Djabarafola

Postby djembefeeling » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Shouldn't the half circular crack be completely circular, then? Above the half circle there is no hint of woods patched together as you can see in the carved wood.

What would the doctor say? Fiahbun, could you upload a picture of the complete djembe, too?
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby fiahbun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi djembefeeling,
Here are 4 more pics..
I think Michi is right though, what he said about the patch makes sense. i´m a newbie so it didn´t occur to me that it could´ve had a knot that came off during the manufacturing process..
pics:
http://imgur.com/a/rsatg
fiahbun
Djabarafola

Postby fiahbun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Here´s a picture from the inside.
http://imgur.com/a/DciJS
On the outside, the patch feels just like the rest of the shell, when i touch the inside (pictured) it feels softer than the rest of the shell, almost like sawdust. is it a job well done? what do you guys think? i´m still thinking i should go back to my local shop and return it in exchange for another one, or am i being too picky?
cheers
fiahbun
Djabarafola

Postby djembefeeling » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 am

O.k., clearly a repair. It looks well done, so you shouldn't worry. But if it is not too much of a hazard, just change it for another one.
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Return to Instrument building and repair