Roll and Tuck Finish around Head

Advice and questions on making and fixing instruments

Roll and Tuck Finish around Head

Postby Des804 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I hope its called Roll and tuck but I am trying to find a YT Video that showed how to do it accurately considering last time I tried to do it, it looked like someone sat on it. Its where you take the extra skin around the Drum and you roll it all the way around to help with slippage. Figured Someone might know where I can see that video showing how to do it is.
Des804

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Roll and Tuck Finish around Head

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 am

Ah yes, I have come across it when not looking for it and then not seen it when I wanted it. Have some idea it was a French guy, so perhaps looking through youtube.fr or in french. Djembe montage.

you cut skin to about an inch excess, then using a very thin pliers, like a jewllers pliers start twisting at an angle and move around the drum. Hard part seems to be poking the end of the twist under the rim to stop it unravelling.
Paul
Djembefola

Postby djembefeeling » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Took me about 15 sec. of search on youtube:

View it on Youtube
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Postby boromir76 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Very effective anti slipage measure!

There is one thing to be litlle carreful of when putting wet skin on with this rolling edge: The tensioning ring has to be brought enough down, under the drum edge. The thing is that skin roll very effectively blocks the skin from any slipping once the skin is being tensioned and the ring will not drop down as much as with usual edges, where at least minimal slippage occures very often. To high initial ring position will therefore result in bumping the hand into the roll while playing slaps.
Last edited by boromir76 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
boromir76
1 ksing ksing

Postby Dugafola » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

the roll will also hold form better if you do it when the excess skin has dried out a bit.
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to Instrument building and repair