Peruvian Festejo and African N'Gri/Kirin/Wassolonka

Need Help? We help each other here...

Peruvian Festejo and African N'Gri/Kirin/Wassolonka

Postby cote » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new in the forum. My name is Cote Calmet and I'm a musician/drummer from Peru. I'm currently doing a master about connecting a Peruvian Rhythm called Festejo to an African rhythm called N'Gri/Wassolonka/Kirin.

After listening to examples and comparing the Claves, notes, patterns and history I have realized that N'Gri has to be the great grandfather of this rhythm. The only thing I'm missing in my connection between this two rhythms is some history of the N'Gri rhythm itself, would anybody know where to get this history? or would anybody be able to know some history?

Thank you very much and hopefully, some of you can give me a hand :)

all the best,

Cote
cote

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Peruvian Festejo and African N'Gri/Kirin/Wassolonka

Postby michi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 am

Welcome to the forum, Cote!

There was a previous discussion on N'Gri here: jun-jul-2014-ngri-f71/cultural-info-t5224.html

You may find some of that useful.

Cheers,

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby Michel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Wow Cote, that's interesting! Hope you can proof the connection between n'gri and the peruvian rhythm. Keep us informed!
Michel
3 ksing ksing

Postby korman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:47 am

If two things sound similar, does not mean one is derived from another.

Wassulun is a region in soutwest Mali, quite far from the sea. Slaves were brought from coastal regions of Africa through Hispaniola, Cuba and other transit points to Peru. So it is quite unlikely that large group of people from Wassulun ended up playing music together in Peru.
Even if you manage to find sources that confirm transit of people from Wassulun to Peru, also bear in mind that it is something like 150 years since last slaves were brought over. The music could change a lot during that time, both in Wassulun, and in Peru.
korman
1 ksing ksing

Postby Michel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Well Korman, you are absolutely right of course. I don't think they traditionally play 'ngri in Peru.
But hey, maybe there is a musico-anthropological connection to discover in how rhythms/dances/styles of soloing/.....(fill in the world to discover in music) develop in different areas in the world with common attributes. I would say quite a nice thing to know.
Michel
3 ksing ksing

Postby djembefeeling » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:50 pm

I think the connection is completely possible. The origin of the African slaves can be traced back to regions by their DNA, but the project is still work in progress. I think the Wasolon region is not as far from the coast as to have made enslavement of their people impossible. Also, you don't need large groups of people for their musical heritage to thrive in a community. Among the African slaves in Peru, craftsmen like smiths had a privileged position in society, they held the highest social status and thus income and liberties to live their inherited culture. From smiths to djembe-music is not a far cry.

I just listened to Festejo music and I think its origin in West Africa cannot be doubted. Isn't it clear in Peru that this is the music from Afro-peruvians? At least these are the typical hits you get from a search on youtube of groups doing this music in Peru.

But why do you think specifically about N'gri, Cote? There are many rhythms with such a bell-line in West Africa. What other indicators do you have? I would be interested in some details.

To find out more about the cultural background of N'gri I would directly get in contat with Rainer Polak:

https://www.rainerpolak.de/

He can certainly tell you more and perhaps knows where to search for even more details.
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Return to Help