Mamady Keita Series

Meeting place for buying and selling instruments

Re: Mamady Keita Series

Postby djembefeeling » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 pm

You're right, we've had this discussion. Even though djembes are not the main reason, they for sure add to the problem...
djembefeeling
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby michi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 am

Yes, we had that discussion:

social-f1/deforesation-issue-indonesia-africa-and-the-djembe-t3346-15.html#p22738

Djembe's are a problem in the sense that they locally deplete the traditional species. (There are probably still plenty of lenke trees left in areas where people don't make djembes.) And I suspect that, if someone wants firewood, they don't really care whether the tree they chop down is a species that's used for djembes or not. All the other uses for wood, particularly as firewood and building materials would still be the larger problem.

Michi.
michi

Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby drtom » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Sorry to jump in so late. I feel like an intruder, but I've been away, and as I was catching up came across your discussion.

the kid wrote:It is hard to see why djembes are so dear any ways considering the real price of wood and carvers in West Africa.

People seem to accept a special piece should be 800 dollars but are then shocked at 1500?

I think both prices are over the top for a good djembe which is esentially, specially selected wood and well carved bowl.

I disagree with some of this. Many hands other than the carver's must touch that shell before it's taken off the shelf of one of the world's top djembe makers.

As someone who's visited Matt's DSD shop dozens of times, I know the time and attention spent on the drums crafted there. I know the expertise and dedication invested in those drums, so I can vouch for these $800 djembes.

I cannot vouch for other $800 djembes nor for the $1500 djembes. $1500 seems over the top to me as well, but I don't know what goes into making them.
drtom
3 ksing ksing

Postby drtom » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 pm

michi wrote:I own #3 of 40 of the original 2010 Signature Series. From what I know, Jeremy sourced the shells from Mamady's preferred carver, built the drums, and then had Mamady play a whole bunch of them. Mamady picked the ones he liked best and was happy to put his name to.

I'd say these drums come with a good recommendation.

michi wrote:I agree that the Signature Series drums are overpriced. I bought mine partly because it is a superb drum, and partly out of loyalty to Mamady. I've never regretted the purchase.

Definitely a better investment than stamps.
drtom
3 ksing ksing

Postby drtom » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:33 pm

djembefeeling wrote:You're right, we've had this discussion. Even though djembes are not the main reason, they for sure add to the problem...

Deforestation is happening. Last year the UN issued new protections for rosewood trees, the hardwood favored for the making of tabla shells. As with the djeme, the tabla is not the main culprit in the wood's demise - as I understand it, the demand for fine furniture is.
drtom
3 ksing ksing

Previous

Return to Buy instruments