can tell this drum

Meeting place for buying and selling instruments

can tell this drum

Postby yoyito0 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Smilies are ON I just got this drum from a guy he said it was from senegalese drum made of dimba woodI pay $ 152.00 for it I need some to let me know if this is what he said it is o what drum is its 23" and 12" across thanks for your help
Attachments
Picture or Video 024.jpg
Picture or Video 024.jpg (148.14 KiB) Viewed 495 times
yoyito0

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: can tell this drum

Postby fa_ramiro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi yoyito! Yes man the name pf the wood is dimba, in wolo, the occidental name is Teka (tektona grandis). And por you to be shure is a senegalese drum. I think the price is ok, but i dont know what where you looking for... i mean that its a "tourist drum" its not professional. But if you are atarting with druming, or for just a hobby its ok!

I hope my answer helped you!

bye!
fa_ramiro
Kenkenifola

Postby yoyito0 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:53 am

thanks for all your help its good to know I'm buying this is my first drum so I think its ok
yoyito0

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 am

Hi man, I think these drums are great to start, they have a big head for a good sound range..
No idea why they make that big trumpet like end,,, its a pain to find a bag that fits
Paul
Djembefola

Postby Djembe-nerd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Paul,

what is the size of your djembe, maybe I can help. I did a diploma with the bags a few months back :-)

I have 2 meinl bags, they are good and I bought them only after putting the djembe inside. There is a lot of confusing information on the bag sizes online or with the manufacturers. Hume and Berg 14" bag is also a good one, but only the new batches, they increased the base size in the new ones. That bag was a little too big for my djembes, so I didn't keep it.
If you want to see me kick some butt, just tell me about all the things you think I won't be able to do
Djembe-nerd
Djembefola

Postby ubba » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 pm

I should have gone to school for computers
Last edited by ubba on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubba
Kenkenifola

Postby Dugafola » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 am

fa_ramiro wrote:Hi yoyito! Yes man the name pf the wood is dimba, in wolo, the occidental name is Teka (tektona grandis). And por you to be shure is a senegalese drum. I think the price is ok, but i dont know what where you looking for... i mean that its a "tourist drum" its not professional. But if you are atarting with druming, or for just a hobby its ok!

I hope my answer helped you!

bye!

i'm skeptical that the drum is really dimba/teak. dimba is super dense and doesn't lend well to being decorated.
should i shave my moustache?
Dugafola
Djembefola

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Paul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Adam wrote:Paul,

what is the size of your djembe, maybe I can help. I did a diploma with the bags a few months back

Never actually had one, but I reskin them alot...

Dugafola wrote:i'm skeptical that the drum is really dimba/teak. dimba is super dense and doesn't lend well to being decorated.

Now you think would stop one of these guys doing... I saw a maker get a present of some chisels from some english guys, he just picked up the closest drum (dimba) and started carving.. Put a hole right through the wood and just slapped some wood/glue and sold it next day...

ubba wrote:I have a great drum made of dimba wood from Senegal.

Dont think the two pictures shown are the same wood... Yours looks like wen (maybe).. Hard to know where things are from these days, the carver i mentioned copies styles all the time, especially burkina style... He made me a soso style drum in wen..
Paul
Djembefola

Return to Buy instruments